• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defend/block/counter the front leg side kick...

What methods have you found successful for defending against the front leg side kick, whether it is a stepping through kick or just a front leg kick?

When we spar, we try to sweep the kick out of the way, and then move in on it, whether to the front of back of the leg depends on what stance you are in. Does anyone have any other suggestions for defending it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What methods have you found successful for defending against the front leg side kick, whether it is a stepping through kick or just a front leg kick?

When we spar, we try to sweep the kick out of the way, and then move in on it, whether to the front of back of the leg depends on what stance you are in. Does anyone have any other suggestions for defending it?

When I spar this is generally the way I defend against it followed of course with a hand technique. :karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

This is generally taught in most dojos, however due to the power of the kick I rather side shift out of the way and counter from an angle.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

When we spar, we try to sweep the kick out of the way, and then move in on it, whether to the front of back of the leg depends on what stance you are in.

This is generally taught in most dojos, however due to the power of the kick I rather side shift out of the way and counter from an angle.

Do either of you try to trap the leg? If you do, do you try from either side of the kicking leg, or just from the "back" side of it?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

No I dont. If I am on the back side of a side kick, and the oppenent has good hip flexibility the kick can be altered into a hook kick. If I am close enough for a trap in that situation I am open to being nailed by the kick.

If I am on the front side/inside the opponent I am in a position to be hit with their follow up technique.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

No, we don't trap either. Sometimes the leg might get "hooked" by "accident" when trying to sweep it out of the way, but that is an "accident." :roll:

I try to move back and at an angle, to get a counter shot in, but I have trouble getting away from those side kicks.

I tend to move out of the way, preferrably to the opponents open side. At the same time I usually do some sort of downward block; front arm elbow works well, or just a palm downward block. Then can lead with the front arm and take it in closer. Can also counter with roundhouses, backkicks, reverse hooks etc.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We are taught to close the distance as fast as we can and push down on the leg while delivering a back knuckle to them at the same time. If done correctly, you will jam their kick and get your hit in instead.

If the person is good at chambering their kick in really deep, then best bet is to jump back slightly out of their range and try the move above as they are bringing it back.

I have tried this move, but seeing as I am a beginner, I haven't gotten it down yet. Right now my normal defense against a kick is to bring my knee up as high as it will go and bring my front arm down till my elbow meets my knee...sort of like a wall. As I am doing that, I am leaning slightly towards them to 1.)be in position for my own move once I bring my foot back down and 2.)prevent myself from being knocked off balance from their kick. That has served me pretty well for most competitors since most are shorter than me. Doesn't work very well for the taller ones.

As with all things, it depends. For a preference, I'll usually try one of a couple of things.

If I can, Ill try to jam it as it comes up and counter high. IF it comes out, I''ll use an elbow to intercept if possible, and try to step to an angle off to either side. If I"m too close for that, but close enough to jamb, I'll just breath, double elbow and hope for the best. That's worst case.

I'll also try to cut and angle and shin to the support leg if I happen to get the timing. I've been doing alot more counter to the support leg work lately. It's ben pretty effective so far, it's difficult agaist really good kicker however.

Just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

My style teaches to drive through without concern as to what the lead leg is doing; a jam, but, it's not a jam. I will meet this lead leg side kick, more than not, with a kick of my own, jump spinning back kick to either side, closed/open. I also love to side-step to the outside, deliver down block/reverse punch to the ribs/armpit.

My Dai-Soke loves to, and I hate it when I'm on the receiving end, step forward to the open side as the kick is extending and deliver a zuki, any zuki, to the shin or thigh. His timing is freakish, but, when he hits you there I've only one thing to say...@%*&%##@@@@ and OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my tournament days, I loved to drop down under the lead leg side kick and shoot out a round/side to my opponents groin.

Most I've noticed is that practitioners throw this lead leg side kick more as a set-up for what is to follow as well as a quick way to keep opponent at bay. Either way, just drive through it. It takes more fortitude than one might imagine.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!