• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Child With Down Syndrome Earns Black Belt

I am sorry for what I am about to post. Frankly, I do not see the point to glorify such a feat from such a person. To modify a curriculum, and in some cases, extreme to benefit the student, would seem to dilute the actual course of said art. Simply, if such criteria is set with normal practitioners in mind, and these normal students have to work so hard, why cant the same requirements be upon someone else who isnt quite normal?

In other words, if a normal person accomplishes his art criteria, and isnt so over glorified, why should it be that of someone less normal?

I had a few handicap students, and they DID not want me to change the curriculum to suit their handicap. This made them feel abnormal as it placed them apart from the norm.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those are fair points, RichardZ. I understand what you are saying. You're certainly not alone in this perspective.

No where in that article or accompanying video did the instructor say that any adjustments had been made for the student. That I could see, anyway. I wouldn't want to necessarily assume.

But, some in this thread mentioned they or their schools would make adjustments for people dealing with some sort of handicap. And I could see how that wouldn't sit well with some practitioners for the reasons you cited.

That said, I would suggest that adjustments are made for children due to limitations. They may not be handicaps, per se, but they are limitations that are accounted for and curriculum is adjusted for them. And they still earn belts, milestones or congratulations. One could argue that this is no different.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ x2. Almost looks as if he has an advantage. Fewer distractions. Vid didn't show any physical problems....

I do not envy my Sensei / Sempai's position in teaching the kids / beginner classes (which make up the majority of our dojo's student base). That's some SERIOUS attention issues to work through, lol.

• 1 month later...

That gladens my heart that some one with special need can earn a black belt. I remember when I was doing Shotokan Jka in Johannesburg about 20 years ago. He was mentaly handicapped and he got a Black belt he just had to do a bit of grappling to earn it as he didnt do Kumite.