• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Child With Down Syndrome Earns Black Belt

This, imho, is what the Martial Arts is all about...reaching goals once believed to be unattainable. Earning a black belt is hard enough, but, compounded with a handicap, it's thought to be impossible.

Check out this link; I'm sure it'll bless you as it did me....hopefully I'm not posting something that's already been done here at KF, if so, I'm sorry, but, something worth mentioning is worth mentioning more than one time, imho.

http://cbs4.com/local/karate.black.belt.2.916154.html

Congrats Bradley Schneider!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was telling one of my students about Bradley and she asks me..."Will Bradley be able to earn ranks as a black belt?" My answer..."Yes, and why not! Besides ranks unimportant, knowledge is paramount." She just nodded her head up and down.

I think that it's a possibility within TKD politics for handicap students to earn rank at the appropriate time. Anybody in TKD know this to be true or not of WTF/ITF/ATA or any other TKD governing body?

In my style, Bradley would be just as eligible for rank as any practitioner, just as long as the requirements/tenure were satisfied first. As Kaicho, I'd personally sponsor a student with a handicap just as long as the requirements/tenure were satisfied.

Besides, let him bask in the fruits of his accomplishments for awhile; worry about rank at a later time when it's proper, not sooner.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that it's a possibility within TKD politics for handicap students to earn rank at the appropriate time. Anybody in TKD know this to be true or not of WTF/ITF/ATA or any other TKD governing body?

Although I can't speak for the policies of every organization out there, when I was with the ATA they were very good about making adjustments to curriculum requirements, as far as the physical ones go, so that they could move up the ranks, just like the others.

• 2 weeks later...

AN instructor of mine For Uechi Ryu has promoted three handicap people to black belt, although they cannot do everything as a someone else can...alot of the stuff is not needed. These people did not go through the kitae exercises, they did not have to do tameshiwari for testing, and they were allowed to do the Kata at a medium pace, with out alot of kime needed. But whats the real sense for that...its a sense of accomplishment for them and a proud achievment it is. It may take them longer sometimes...but thats the beauty of the arts, its an art for everyone.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...