RW

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It confused me a lot... why should a competition kata should be that different from the training kata?

I have to say that Kata Shitei looks a lot nicer than the regular training kata, but still... I think that this shouldn't be done.

There is only "one" kata and "one way" to do kata. If you are doing kata correctly, there is absolutely no difference between practise and competition. However, certain body actions may be over emphasized for competition - example, big draw are that the judges can see. But if you are doing kata correctly, this would not be an issue - but some will win a kata competition using this cheater's method. So for competition training, you may have to stress this point to lower levels to ensure they are competitive in competition.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Well, have you heard about Goju Ryu's Saifa? If yes, just about the part where you move your hands up and down while standing on just one leg (before the mai geri) you head should be pointing left (for kata shitei) while on the normal kata you should be facing forward.

Also, there is a difference with the kyais (there aren't in the normal kata)...

I just realize how hard it is to describe it heheheh. I wish I could give you a demonstration.

These aren't big changes, but still I think they are pretty significative.

Well, have you heard about Goju Ryu's Saifa? If yes, just about the part where you move your hands up and down while standing on just one leg (before the mai geri) you head should be pointing left (for kata shitei) while on the normal kata you should be facing forward.

Also, there is a difference with the kyais (there aren't in the normal kata)...

I just realize how hard it is to describe it heheheh. I wish I could give you a demonstration.

These aren't big changes, but still I think they are pretty significative.

Well the kiais are like that alot in the traditional arts. Especially Kobudo...when you walk into a traditional kobudo dojo (100% by the way). You will not hear any kiais in the dojo, on the tournament floor you will, but Kiai is not something really needed in martial arts, this is arguable of course with the practicioners of Kiaijutsu (Which I am ), but its not really needed in some katas, this is to produce a form of martial power thats so powerful and it shows that you do not need to kiai.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

There is only "one" kata and "one way" to do kata. If you are doing kata correctly, there is absolutely no difference between practise and competition. However, certain body actions may be over emphasized for competition - example, big draw are that the judges can see. But if you are doing kata correctly, this would not be an issue - but some will win a kata competition using this cheater's method. So for competition training, you may have to stress this point to lower levels to ensure they are competitive in competition.

- Killer -

As you are a shotokan practicioner you should know that all katas are not always done the same, Karate is not Iaido, kata cannot always be done the same. If you look at the two different videos of Funakoshi Sensei doing Tekki Shodan, you will see what I am talking about.

Yes, I've heard a lot about the kiais in katas... I don't really have a position on that.

I personally don't like kiais, since I don't feel they are necessary, but that's just me :)

You obviously totally misunderstood what I was referring to. When I said there was only "one" way, I was referring to the context of an individual's interpretation of the meaning of the kata with the intent of correct bunkai of a real situation, and changing that interpretation for competition. Technique variation always has and always will have variations in the interpretation of a particular kata - which is fine.

- Killer -

- Killer -

As you are a shotokan practicioner you should know that all katas are not always done the same, Karate is not Iaido, kata cannot always be done the same. If you look at the two different videos of Funakoshi Sensei doing Tekki Shodan, you will see what I am talking about.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Yes, I've heard a lot about the kiais in katas... I don't really have a position on that.

I personally don't like kiais, since I don't feel they are necessary, but that's just me :)

I believe they are nessecary in kihongata and Yakusoke Kumite Only, Regular Kata and Kobudo, they are pointless...If a guys running at me with a pair of nichogama ima run...he doesn't need to kiai to scare me. in Kata for competition sure...but its not something I feel is required, I dont require any one that learns underneath me to use them.