RW

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes me to. Especially with other Katas llike Seunchin and Sanseiru, the contrasting of the katas are immense and you truly get to become a better martial artist by cross training. LIke with my Uechi Ryu its teaching me to be a more fierce competitor now... :evil:

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Even kata within the same style (eg: Shotokan) will have slight variations from school to school.

Well they shouldn't do really.

We are all built differently, and some days you can do a great Heian Nidan and another time it will suck, but within the same school the goals should be the same.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Even kata within the same style (eg: Shotokan) will have slight variations from school to school.

Well they shouldn't do really.

We are all built differently, and some days you can do a great Heian Nidan and another time it will suck, but within the same school the goals should be the same.

WNM

I agree with WNM. From school to school it may be done differently but yet the principles are still their, so the technique shouldn't differ even if its from a different school in an organized style.

What I meant to say from "school to school" is not so much within one school system (eg: Joe Smith school of MA in San Diego and Joe Smith school of MA in Los Angeles), but within two different schools of the same style (eg: Joe Smith school of MA in San Diego and Dan Fran Martial Arts in Toronto)-both of them Shotokan - you will see slight variations in the kata (eg: a hand drops lower in one than another at a certain place, etc).

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

Yes that will happen in any martial art form other than iaido...Their is not a possible way that a martial arts form can be 100% the same...atleast in iaido its either one or the other...right or wrong. Slight variations are not anything serious, unless its something like two different styles as I often quote, Uechi Ryu and Goju Ryu similar styles but not so. If a uechi student was doing a Sepai kata and a goju ryu practicioner were judging, in the eyes of the goju man/woman the uechi version of Sepai would be wrong in their eyes...same with Seiunchin...(I use seiunchin because they both have it, buts its not exactly the same).

What I meant to say from "school to school" is not so much within one school system (eg: Joe Smith school of MA in San Diego and Joe Smith school of MA in Los Angeles), but within two different schools of the same style (eg: Joe Smith school of MA in San Diego and Dan Fran Martial Arts in Toronto)-both of them Shotokan - you will see slight variations in the kata (eg: a hand drops lower in one than another at a certain place, etc).

Of course you will see a slight variation, just in the same way that you will never do the same kata twice, but in terms of teaching kata...... how much lower do you drop that hand in question, before you change the purpose of the technique into something else? Correct form is correct form after all.

Actually, kata (by definition) needs very little variation (outside su-ha-ri of course), so if two schools, within the same group, are doing it differently, chances are one of those schools is doing something wrong.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I agree with you WNM. The kata should be the same.

But I have a comment regarding this: a few months ago I received a seminary with Master Ramon Veras, of Goju Ryu.

He told us that there are variations for Kata Shitei and normal kata...and this is inside the same school...

He told us that there are variations for Kata Shitei and normal kata...and this is inside the same school...

You mean like intensity and dynamics right?