• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Elbow Striking Pads

These are from the Combat Sport product line. Myself and some of the guys at my dojo purchased these and got to try them out last night. We had been limited to just trying to touch with elbows when in the clinch and on the ground. I would recommend that anyone training that involves striking oon the ground get these or a like product. It'll put a whole to side to you sparring rounds. I took a couple shots and they done their job and there's no soreness this morning. But I in turn knew I had been hit.The down side to these is that you sparring partner can pull them down. If there is alot of pumbling they may slip depending on how tight the pumbling is. Again they add a new level to the striking even on the feet. It's nice to not hold back as much on an elbow. If anyone else has or is using these during their sparring sessions let's here you thoughts. I wish I had gotten these long before now. Here's the link to the product so you guys can see what the product looks like:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=23731

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Very cool, I was a bit skeptical when I first looked at the picture but upon closer inspection it does look like there is a lot of padding on there... For $30 it definitely can't hurt to give them a try.

I noticed that there are only two sizes "regular" and "large" and no other descriptors for the sizes... what sizes did you and your buddies get and can you give me an estimation on how big they are?

Well all got the regular size. And we are three completely diffrent body sizes. They a neopriene sleeve so you'll have to be pretty big before you need a large. I too was skeptical but they are really a great product. I basically got mine because I wasn't able to throw elbow and the other guys would be. Turns out I like these babies.

Very nice find. Thanks for posting.

They look far better than the elbow and knee protectors I'm using now. Ordered a pair of both. I'll let you know what I think. Again, thanks for posting good finds like this.

They look like they have potential. In the DT seminar I hit a few weeks back, we were told to use elbows to set up getting to the Kimura. Putting these on would make the training that much better.

Thanks for sharing this, Rusty.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my shipment of these in this week. I have to second the opinion of pitbull, these things are great. I picked up the knee and elbow pads and put them thru a good sparring day and they were excellent.

They stayed in place acceptably well, the knees were better than the elbows in this regard, and took up quite a bit of shock. Way better than any others that I've used.

My only gripe was the 1/8 in neoprene they used in construction. I'd have been happier with 1/4 like my grapplin knee sleeves. However, before I blast them for this oversite, I'll use them a bit and see how they hold up. I have high hopes.

When I paired up the knees with my Top Contender shin gear, it made a really great lower leg system. They have quickly replaced the old parts I had here for my armored sim days.

Thanks again, pitbull for putting this up there for us.

tallgeese,

Thanks for the review on the knee pads. I was one of the instigators on buying the elbow pads. I had concerns about them, but really wanted to add that weapon to our sparring arsenal. We would use them, but they were very limited, thrown slowly and overly controled because of the damage they can do. Being able to use them, in close, clinched and on the ground was great. It did make you have to think a little bit more. The slightly new dynamic was very nice.

I was wondering about getting the knee pads, and how well they would disperse the impact. So, if I understand you, you were able to use knee strikes with a good deal of protection? What sort of contact levels were you using and what were your targets?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

We were using controlled contact. Enough to feel it in the mornining. As for other equipment, we were using caged headgear so we could throw to the facial area with less worry.

Any targets were on, save the groin. As such, I took a few to the quad, body, and the head. Again, the caged heargear really helped out here.