• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you for your response.

"You should try another system. It might really add a great dynamic part to your teaching!"

How many techniques, from how many systems, would be adequate in a physical confrontation; normally lasting a few seconds? Its not the array of techniques that matter; but superior execution.

Are you discrediting the knowledge you can get from another look? Even if you don't agree with the practices of another system doesn't mean you can't use them. When I started to cross train I found that I could apply new techniques to old ones to gain mastery. It's not about the having a wealth of techniques it's about the knowledge gained and perspective on not only another system, but your own. I got a lot of betterment for Shorin Ryu from other systems and I'm a much better Martial Artist for it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 stripe brown belt- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

3rd degree (black sash)- Chuan Fa

2nd degree - Shotokan (kwanmukan also, but I count them as the same rank)

2nd degree- Aiki Ju jitsu (kwanmukan and daito ryu)

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Im 2nd kyu in Shorin Ryu karate.

Just starting my journey in the world of BJJ.

Usually, when people ask my rank, I just tell them how long I've been training. Its easier and to me rank isn't my goal in MA. Ok, BB is a goal of mine, but its that fact that im on the mat training that really matters to me.

5th DAN Master Tang Soo Do, 4th DAN Okinowan Goju-Ryu, 4th DAN Okinowan Ryu Kyu Kobudo (Sanshiu-Konbu)

Hello!

I am a 5th DAN Master in Traditional Tang Soo Do, a 4th DAN Black Belt in Traditional Okinowan Goju-Ryu, and a 4th DAN Black Belt in Traditional Okinowan Ryu Kyu Kobudo. Before retiring, I was a Doctor of Surgical Neuro-Oncology, and I spent a breif time teaching as a Doctor Professor (Ph.D.) of Sociology. I have also recently obtained my DMA of Cello and Piano Preformance, and a Masters in Composition.

• 1 month later...

I am a 7th GUP in Tang So Do. Going for green belt in 2 weeks.

Good luck! Steady training is the key.

I've been training for over 25 years. 2nd dan Shotokan, 1st dan Moo Duk Kwan TKD, green belt Judo, a bit if grappling and a fair amount of Defensive Tactics/Practical MA. I guess I'm under-ranked for the time I've been training, but after awhile it's more for the experience and friendships than the ranks for me.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

I currently hold 6 black belts and 1 brown belt. I am a 1st Dan black belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, ITF TaeKwonDo, Kyokushin Karate, Shotokan Karate. 2nd Dan black belt in Kodokan Judo, & 4th Dan in Kenpo Karate along with my brown belt in Yoshinkan Aikido. Non ranks art I train and teach are Wrestling, Boxing, & Muay-Thai. If someone would ask me I wouldn't just tell them all of my rankings. I would tell them the ranks I am the most proud to accomplish and that is Gracie Jiu-Jitsu & Kyokushinkai. I am proud of all of my accomplishments but those arts I struggled to master them.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt