• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm a 1st Dan in Shotokan and currently in training to take my 2nd Dan in May and starting to feel a little scared. :o

How come, im sure you will do just fine...your already got the first step cleared.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The true measure is not the rank but how long you have been learning and more importantly what you have understood and applied, and to some degree how well you can pass on the message to others.

I have trained and learnt from everyone I have trained with from new student on their first night to 10th Degree Grand Masters so rank is the only indication in learning.

We have all seen good and bad black belts and looked on and amazement as th value of the traditional black belt has been watered down with 6 and 7 year olds being given them.

Sorry bit of a whinge there for a moment.

I'm 45 and have been training in a variety of arts since age 6. If pushed I would say my main art is Wado Ryu Karate Jitsu with a recognised rank of 4th Dan.

Just remember whilst beauty is in the eye of the beholder true rank is far more about whats inside than what is on the outside in terms of belt.

I should say that I am not a snob who refuses to wear a black belt, I wear my black belt with pride for I know the lifetime of work that has gone into it but you will never see me in a bright red gi!

I am a 6th kyu and have been training on and off for four years.

I have already found the posts from other members very insightful on this forum and it is interesting to know some of the ranks of other members.

The true measure is not the rank but how long you have been learning and more importantly what you have understood and applied, and to some degree how well you can pass on the message to others.

Just remember whilst beauty is in the eye of the beholder true rank is far more about whats inside than what is on the outside in terms of belt.

I agree with you here and would like to add that no matter what color your belt is or what dan rank you are, you are responsible for the knowledge that it represents. A favorite quote:

"Carrying on the traditions and teachings of those that have come before you is not an easy task. It requires an individual of a humble heart, unyielding dedication and a person who has great respect for his artform. The world is proud to have an individual like yourself, one that continues to make the art available to another generation and for generations to come." Sifu Michael Matsuda

8)

3rd Dan Kwok Wu Chuen

3rd Dan TKD

2nd Dan Shotokan

1st Dan Jujuitsu

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm 45 and have been training in a variety of arts since age 6. If pushed I would say my main art is Wado Ryu Karate Jitsu with a recognised rank of 4th Dan.

Funny/sad/great/interesting---depending on whom one's speaking to about rank; therefore, rank, at every corner of the globe, is only "recognised" by that Association/Federation/Headquarter/Hombu/Sensei/Grand Master/blah, blah, and more blah.

I'm a recognized Hachidan/Hanshi, but, outside of my Hombu/Association, I might not be for whatever the reason(s). We're all aware that a Godan in one style of the Karate, for example, might only be a Shodan, or for that fact, only an Ikkyu, at best.

I believe that the fathers of our modern day Martial Arts had a good plan about rank; a good plan that was layed out in a solid foundation of good intentions. But, then "man" got their egos involved as well as introducing "politics" into the mix. Now we have what we have; inflated/unrecognized ranks peppered from the north, south, east, and the west with nobody on the same page.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think there is a problem with it also.

For example, many years ago we went to a full contact tournament. (My main styles is Ashihara).

Back then we were all white belts, and we had to fight brown belts from another academy.

We were really scared, because they were brown belts, and we didn't have that much training as a brown belt would have.

So, when we finally had to fight, all of us beat our respective brown-belt rival.

It seemed to me that it was better to be a white belt in my dojo than a brown belt in that particular academy. Later on I found out that this "academy" was a false academy, with false "sen seis" and that the brown belts were given those ranks in less than a couple of years. The "sen seis" only wanted to get money as fast as they could and then run away.

All these kept me thinking: howcome there is no like "internation regulation commitee" where you can compare your rank with some rank that it's recognized by all... something like and ISO standard hehehehe.

Generally, because when an organization sets standards like that, they often end up going the path of the "false" school you mentioned themselves, and demanding that it's good instructors dumb down and wreck their good teaching to fit the curriculum.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

JusticeZero and Espina are dead on right, imho. You both make some valid points to both of your arguments. It is sad that this happens, but, it's unavoidable, especially when there's no governing body to regulate them. Kind of like insurance isn't regulated, therefore, premiums are in outer space...nobody can afford to be insured...that's very sad as well.

We set our standards very high. In other words, we've no 1-2 year brown belts; more than likely, we've brown belts with 4 years minimum on average, even then, we set absolutely no time required specifics for any and all belts...PERIOD! Now, our Yudansha's have a minimum tenure specific to each Dan rank, but, that's just a minimum for having that said Dan rank; before that and after that, NOTHING'S GUARANTEED....NOTHING!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My Sen Sei bases his decision to let someone make an exam based on the following:

1) Has accomplished all the minimum hours of training required for the particular grade (the higher the rank, the more class hours you need)

2)Has accomplished the minimum time in the particular belt (for example, you need to spend at least one year in brown belt before moving to the next one)

3)He/she has the technical level to win the exam. My sen sei never sends someone to make the exam without knowing he/she is going to pass it. You must be "over ranked" to do you next-belt exam.