• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does Size Matter?

There is advantages to both. I fit into the smaller, faster catagory. If we are talking sport fighting, or point sparring... I have found that it is harder for a larger fighter to fight smaller ones.

Now lets talk real fighting. A smaller person may be fast, but are they strong and able to land the hard strikes to truly defend themselves? A larger person may be slower, but probably has great strength behind their strikes.

I enjoy sparring, but my reason behind my training isn't to "score that fast point with a insufficient, controlled kick." I train to find those moves that will bring my attacker down so I can get away.

I am not trying to say anything negative about point sparring or sparring in general. It is a must for training. I am just trying to give the point that it doesn't really matter what size you are if you can't win the fight on the street.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

. . . it doesn't really matter what size you are if you can't win the fight on the street.

Very true. And a "win" can also be that you--and perhaps those with you, such as family members--can get away.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

. . . it doesn't really matter what size you are if you can't win the fight on the street.

Very true. And a "win" can also be that you--and perhaps those with you, such as family members--can get away.

This is true. In SD, I think it is important to replace "win" with "survive." Finding a route of escape is a way to survive.

Good questions/excellent OP!

Have you ever tried a style, and not been able to perform well with your Height/Weight?

No!

Do you feel you Height/Weight give you an edge or disadvantage in competition for your style? (Against other styles)

No!

Do you fare better or worse against someone of equal stature?

I'm neutral!

Truth be, I've never entertained a thought and/or an conclusion as to any of these questions. To me, an opponent is just that...an opponent! What the parameters are before me with any said opponent is of no consequence/concern, although, I'll "size-up" my opponent, which is to say...I'll study my opponent, I'll study myself, I'll make a plan, and I'll carry my plan out.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Very interesting response sensei8. I can appreciate that in the sense of the oppt being an oppt. My curiosity in relation to your response is that when you "size up" and make your plan, how much of your size vs. the oppt size comes into play not knowing if/how that person can fight. Are you referring more to point, or street encounters? Both?

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"