• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Terrible memory

sushi_error

I'm sure this belongs here, if not, feel free to move it, mods.

Anyways, I've been training in karate since the beginning of September and was promoted to blue belt last month. Obviously, as you move up belt rank, you learn harder, more interesting stuff. However, I am having a lot of trouble remembering many of the fighting stances I have learned so far as a blue belt. My biggest problem is remembering how to step and when to punch or block. I'm just really confused and my sensei does help as much as he can, however, I still can't seem to remember it. My sensei even told me I needed to relax today, because I was so tense. I try to stay relaxed, but when I just don't understand how to do something, I tense up and whatnot. Does anyone have any tips, especially on remembering movements? Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice makes perfect ya know? I know september probably seems like a long while back but remember you're still fairly new to this, just keep practicing the movements whenever you have time... eventually they'll become so ingrained in your muscle memory that they'll be like second nature.

I'd just say to relax, keep up the practice and let it come with time.

In a way, I'm experiencing the same concern, Sushi. ("sushi_error"? Under General Chat, there's a place where you're invited to explain where your nickname comes from. You can click here. This has to be a good one! :) )

What's happened with me is that, although I have my basics down, the three newest forms are beginning to blend with one another. I've regularly practiced them in the order in which we're to present them, the only pause being when I end one form, move to ready position, and then begin the next one. But though I've passed my latest test, in class, when my teacher had me start with the third one, I mixed it with the second. Then when I did the second, I mixed it with the first. I've been practicing and thinking of something special about each one, meaning that at the point in which I'm most likely to make a mistake, I pause and remember what I have to do to "introduce" the special following moves. It slows me down, and I've had to remain after class to practice, but a higher belt who was watching me told me I was doing them right--and I was practicing "out of order."

A newer student in my school has told me that he can't remember all that he has to know, although he did work hard and received a promotion. In working with him, I've found that he has to slow down, that he's moving so fast, he's mixing old and what's now new.

I know that no one likes to slow down, Sushi, but the mind has to digest so much, especially if you've just gotten a promotion. I've been repeating everything on my own, going at a slower pace, and it's been a big help to me. I really think that we sometimes can't remember because we're thinking two thoughts at the same time, canceling one another out.

I think that a combo of practice and slower speed is helpful for the memory. After all, going faster when things are smooth again will always be there.

Edit was to add "in class" for clarity. The error didn't occur during testing.

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think Joe is right. Slow it down, and get lots of good reps in, before you start speeding things up.

Are you having trouble remembering forms, or basics, or is it all the stances? You mentioned "fighting stances," but I really think you should only have one fighting stance, and everything else transitions from there. Could you elaborate a little bit?

A good all-round drill that might help for remembering techniques and stances is just getting someone to call out moves to you and you do them. They can start by just calling out two or three moves during your session and then you can progress to more moves another training session. Its a great tool for remembering names/terminology, working on transitions between movements and just making sure you can react quickly. If its forms you're having trouble with, YouTube is brilliant as there are loads of videos on there.

I agree with everyone else in slowing it down and not panicking. When you practice at home make sure you're not rushing things and do lots of to really get it embedded into your memory.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The way I remember my forms and drills is simply by lots and lots of repetitions. The more repetitions you do, the more it becomes second nature to you. I also "do" my forms & drills in my head by visualizing them and I find this helps also. Be patient with yourself, with time & practice it will be easier and you'll remember it better.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

A good all-round drill that might help for remembering techniques and stances is just getting someone to call out moves to you and you do them. They can start by just calling out two or three moves during your session and then you can progress to more moves another training session. Its a great tool for remembering names/terminology, working on transitions between movements and just making sure you can react quickly. If its forms you're having trouble with, YouTube is brilliant as there are loads of videos on there.

Another way to approach it that is similar to DWx's idea, is to do a technique, form, or whatever, and say the name of it with each technique that you do when practicing it. That association will help it stick, too.

Another way to approach it that is similar to DWx's idea, is to do a technique, form, or whatever, and say the name of it with each technique that you do when practicing it. That association will help it stick, too.

This was an interesting suggestion, Brian. Before I picked up the boys from after-care, I did a form slowly, saying each move with its Korean name. When the boys had karate tonight, I helped by saying the moves of their new form in Korean while guiding them. At home, we did those new moves again, using the Korean names.

I think it'll help me remember the moves I'm to do when we have "Ki Cho" exercises (our teacher or the assistant instructor calling out two-three move combos in Korean). Sometimes the Ki Cho moves appear to be tossed together, but other times I know they're right from a form.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'm glad you like it, Joe. When I first started teaching in the school I attend now, I had to start reciting the Korean terms so that I could learn them. You think when you hear them all the time, that you know them, but when you get up in front of that class, things change. ;)