• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructors throwing a tournament

I hate going to a tournament thrown by a school, and the tournament director which at a lot of times is the head sensei of the school, compete in their own tournaments. I think it is absolutely horrible!

Has this ever happened to any one of you before where you went to a tournament and the director was competing...

At one time I had a judge/director/competitor that was horrible. I walked in and seen that and I left...

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never seen a tourney where the director competed. I don't think it would be a good idea, though. After all, he has a lot to focus on with running the tourney.

I'm not in favour of it either. How do they have time to compete as well? Tournaments I usually attend, the director(s) are running aroundmaking sure everything is going ok and organising everyone.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've seen the directors do demo's perhaps for entertainment purposes, but not actually compete. I agree, that would be wrong and a conflict of interest.

What I have seen is judges competing in tournaments. They will judge a different division (say, the kids) and then compete in their own division.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

What I have seen is judges competing in tournaments. They will judge a different division (say, the kids) and then compete in their own division.

That's what usually happens for us. Blackbelt veterans (+40 yrs) will compete first, then they will judge the blackbelt seniors and then both groups will umpire the other divisions for the rest of the day.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm not in favour of it either. How do they have time to compete as well? Tournaments I usually attend, the director(s) are running aroundmaking sure everything is going ok and organising everyone.

Usually the directors are running around but certain ones in my area...I am not going to list names...but...

They tend to make time for their division, and it seems that the only people that judge him are from his school...and I think its extremely ignorant to think of yourself as such a competitor like that.

I am all for the judges competing in a black belt divison with nont competing veterans judging.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have never come acrossed this situation. I am sure there are several other people who attended that tournament thinking the same as you. It will reflect in any future tournament that the head of the schools throws.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Quite a few people still go to the tournaments, except my school and its affiliates. We basically boycot it because the people in the tournaments are always so biased anyways.