Espina

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And their are other smaller ways of telling, but just look at the movements and figure out if its a kata or a pattern.

Is there a difference? I always understood that pattern and kata were essentially the same thing. Like using the word "form."

A pattern to most "extreme" traditional Martial artists, is an insulting way of talking about a kata, because a pattern has no life, while kata needs life breathed into it.

To me, it was all the same: kata=pattern=form=hyung, etc. In many TKD schools, the forms are referred to as patterns. We obviously don't use the term kata, simply because it is a Japanese term, but the Korean equivalent is the word hyung, and the English equivalent would be form or pattern. I have never heard of the exclusivity of any of the terms before. But hey, to each his own.

Sorry its been a long time since I was in Tkd...but I thought the forms of Tae Kwon Do were referred to as Poomse?...

And When I spoke about the traditional martial artist I meant the Traditional Okinawan Martial artist (Referring to the styles that I have been in).

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Sorry its been a long time since I was in Tkd...but I thought the forms of Tae Kwon Do were referred to as Poomse?...

Poomse is only used for WTF style and their forms.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Poomse is only used for WTF style and their forms.

That is another word I forgot. Actually, the ATA refers to their forms as Poomse, too.

In the end, they're all just another word for the same thing.

Oh haha thank you, I thought my korean heritage was failing me a bit.

so the ITF does not use it than, just the WTF and the ATA?

And beast...

do you know if their is a video somewhere where I can see Futatsu....I like the name and would like to see it... :)

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Taikyoku 1 (we call Kicho Kata)

Pinan 1

Pinan 2

Pinan 3

Pinan 4

Pinan 5

Tekki 1

Chinte

Basai Dai

Kibon

We are a sister school to a Goshin Jutsu school so we are learning there katas an so far I got;

Hajimente

Futatsu

Oh haha thank you, I thought my korean heritage was failing me a bit.

so the ITF does not use it than, just the WTF and the ATA?

I've seen the ITF use the word "tul" as well. I don't see the word poomse used with the ITF forms.