• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Katas do you know?

Espina

Timm, I'm sure you have seen a lot of Katas... there's no way you wouldn't recognize a traditional Kata from a "modern" one.

Could you please tell me what you think are the main differences between traditional katas and modern ones?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

supposedly these Kata were actually modeled after real fights.

I think it was a way to teach martial arts by disguising them as dance. *shrugs*

Anyways, my sensei created his own kata. It was based on a fight he got into when he was a bouncer :)

From what I have seen and read, the katas were used to codify fighting concepts, techniques, etc., for transmission to others. I've read a bit from Abernethy, so thats the side of it that I see.

Timm, I'm sure you have seen a lot of Katas... there's no way you wouldn't recognize a traditional Kata from a "modern" one.

Could you please tell me what you think are the main differences between traditional katas and modern ones?

Well at times its hard. Like if you take the shotokan/ other martial arts but differant name Kata such as the Taihokyu (Aka Taikyokyu). Its a series of Low block and punch traditionally you would punch to the solar plexus, but in Taihokyu (one that is older but usually modified to be modern), they punch to the stomach.

So you have to have a really keen eye to see modernizations in Kata that has been modified.

Now when you look at a kata such as Karumpha from the Kajukenpo Style, it is extremely modern because you see traits of Goju and Shotokan hidden in the style. We do like 6-7 jodan juji uke's and palm heel strikes. So it is extremely modern, I have only seen a handful of traditional katas that incorporate more than two juji uke.

And their are other smaller ways of telling, but just look at the movements and figure out if its a kata or a pattern.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Shorin-Ryu USA :

Fukyugata Ichi

Fukyugata Ni

Fukyugata San

Pinan Shodan

Pinan Nidan

Pinan Sandan

Pinan Yondan

Pinan Godan

Naihanchi Shodan

Naihanchi Nidan

I need to learn Ananku before I can test for Black Belt.

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

And their are other smaller ways of telling, but just look at the movements and figure out if its a kata or a pattern.

Is there a difference? I always understood that pattern and kata were essentially the same thing. Like using the word "form."

Is there a difference? I always understood that pattern and kata were essentially the same thing. Like using the word "form."

A pattern to most "extreme" traditional Martial artists, is an insulting way of talking about a kata, because a pattern has no life, while kata needs life breathed into it.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Let's see....I had a thread on this a long time ago...

Empty hand:

Kihon I-V (and the three formerly known as I-III)

Fuku I-II

Naihaichi I-III

Pinan I-V

Passai (Sho and Dai)

Kusanku (Sho and Dai)

Seisan

Tensho

Kobudo:

Sai Ichi no Kata

Sai Ni no Kata

Maezato no nunchaku

Gyosho no kun

ZNKR Iaido:

Mae

Ushiro

Ukenagashi

Tsuka-ate

Shihogiri

So...Twenty-four(24) empty handed, four (4) Okinawan Kobudo, and five (5) ZNKR Iaido.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

A pattern to most "extreme" traditional Martial artists, is an insulting way of talking about a kata, because a pattern has no life, while kata needs life breathed into it.

To me, it was all the same: kata=pattern=form=hyung, etc. In many TKD schools, the forms are referred to as patterns. We obviously don't use the term kata, simply because it is a Japanese term, but the Korean equivalent is the word hyung, and the English equivalent would be form or pattern. I have never heard of the exclusivity of any of the terms before. But hey, to each his own.

To me, it was all the same: kata=pattern=form=hyung, etc. In many TKD schools, the forms are referred to as patterns. We obviously don't use the term kata, simply because it is a Japanese term, but the Korean equivalent is the word hyung, and the English equivalent would be form or pattern. I have never heard of the exclusivity of any of the terms before. But hey, to each his own.

Our school almost exclusively uses the term "pattern" or we sometimes use the Korean "tul" instead. Its the same thing to me, whatever word is used.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Pinan 1 to 5

Kushanku

Seienchin (the shito-ryu version, although I study wado)

Bassai-Dai

Gojushiho

Naihanchi

Niseishi

Seishan

Wanshu

I'm studying Seishan at the moment - nice kata!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)