• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Katas do you know?

Espina

Oh man, learning 3 new Katas in as many training sessions? What's gotten into my sensei lately? I was doing Empi, Kanku Dai, and starting Hangetsu tonight! Ouch.

This is a good way to rev the mind up and you get more done at one time. Im not saying the quantity over quality is better, but this way your mind works quicker. And also those three katas have some what similar embusen and physical approaches.

As for the kata I know. I know about thirty of them, but I feel only comfortable with about 6 of them. I have been practicing them all for a long time, but with everyone, there are just a few katas that stick to you better than the rest.

The six I hold dear to me are

Seiunchin

Sanseiryu

Genbu

Sepai

Kanshiwa

Geki Sai

And I also know various traditional Kobudo Kata.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do Wado Ryu and I know

Kihon Kata

Pinan Nidan

Pinan Shodan

Pinan Sandan

Pinan Yondan

Pinan Godan (still learning this one)

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

I am 2nd kyu Shotokan, and I know:

Swuishi No Kan (bo staff kata)

Is that Sueyoshi No Kun?...I'm not asking to be a jerk or anything, I just really wanna know if im thinking of the same one you are...:)

I am 2nd kyu Shotokan, and I know:

Swuishi No Kan (bo staff kata)

Is that Sueyoshi No Kun?...I'm not asking to be a jerk or anything, I just really wanna know if im thinking of the same one you are...:)

Ummm....yeah, probably. I have no idea how to spell it, just pronounce it. I will change that!

• 4 weeks later...
Let's see....I had a thread on this a long time ago...

Empty hand:

Kihon I-V (and the three formerly known as I-III)

Fuku I-II

Naihaichi I-III

Pinan I-V

Passai (Sho and Dai)

Kusanku (Sho and Dai)

Seisan

Tensho

Kobudo:

Sai Ichi no Kata

Sai Ni no Kata

Maezato no nunchaku

Gyosho no kun

ZNKR Iaido:

Mae

Ushiro

Ukenagashi

Tsuka-ate

Shihogiri

So...Twenty-four(24) empty handed, four (4) Okinawan Kobudo, and five (5) ZNKR Iaido.

Wow been forever...let's add Chinto to the list.

Working on adding Aguni no nunchaku to the Kobudo list.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

OK, time for an update...

Quoting Myself, from March 2009:

OK, I am going to take this question at face value, and will just say the ones that I have memorized well enough to practice on my own. Shito-ryu has a gazillion katas, so I might forget some of them.

Pinan 1-5

Kensei-Dai

Matsukaze

Aoyanagi

Rohai Shodan and Nidan

Jyuroku

Jiin

Jitte

Annanko

Seinchin

Naihanchin Shodan and Nidan

Bassai Dai

Enpi

In terms of weapons:

Bo no kihon kata

Syushi no kon sho

Syushi no kon dai

Rohai no kon

Sakugawa no kon sho

Sai no kihon kata 1-4

Rohai no sai

Since then I have added Jion, Naihanchin Sandan, Seipai, and Matsamura ha Bassai in open hand, and Rohai no kon, Tsuken Shita Haku no Sai, and Kaibo Ten no Kata in weapons. Plus I forgot Bassai syo from earlier. I think that's all. It might seem silly to write this out as if it's a laundry list, but hey, I've been working hard and it's satisfying to "know" all of these kata. Of course there are too many to study in depth all at once, but our style has so many kata, and a heavy emphasis on them -- which I happen to really like -- and it's good to at least know the correct movements, and details, (hopefully) of most of the ones we do, in order to be able to teach them, though at this point I am not qualified to teach the advanced ones, but my opinion might matter as a tie breaker, as far as a detail. :-) Anyway, right now I am mostly focusing on Seipai and Tsuken (sai kata).

know the first 4 or 5 moves of heian nidan now

i'll catch it all quickly once i start working with a black belt on it though, can't wait to start, i'm an advanced white belt close tomy 8th kyu test now

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.