• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Katas do you know?

Espina

I like it because one kata may be your "test" Kata for three ranks in a row. The grading criteria changes though.

Our sensei got the idea from reading Dr. Chitose's (Osensei) book. He studied ONLY Seisan for nearly 10 years before learning anything else. As a result, his seisan was perfect.

and Its Bassai Dai we're doing.

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greco said:

There's something to be said for this, I think, which is why I hesitated a bit at the question 'what katas do you know'. I will admit that I can be a bit greedy about learning new kata, but overall I think it is probably better to know a few kata really well then to just be "kata collectors". My teachers are always emphasizing that kihon kata is the most important one, and that in tournaments it is better to do an easier/more basic kata well than to do a more advanced one poorly. I believe in this philosophy -- really, I do! -- but I can't help it, I just love learning new kata! I guess the answer, as with so many things, is to find a balance, i.e. go ahead and learn the new kata, but don't go overboard. I just learned 2 new bo kata within the past 3 months, and have only been practicing Bassai Dai in the past 6 months or so as my main performance/competition kata. Sometimes in the advanced class when they are going over kata that are very advanced I will follow along, so that I have some familiarity with them, but in general, I think that my time is better spent working on a few kata over and over again. Plus there are all those old ones that we have to keep practicing so we don't forget them. Too bad there aren't more hours in the day! :)

I agree with you. I personally train a lot of one kata before moving to the next one... even though I really love learning new ones :). It's all part of the process

I strongly agree with Espina and StillKicking :)

I can perform every one of the kata Kyokushin has to offer..... Im really only proficient at maybe two-three of them though.

Training one kata for years has significantly more long term benifit than getting them all done and dusted as quickly as possible....

Kata is to Zen what Food is to Hunger.... If i taste a little of all the food in the world will I really be satisfied?....

Osu :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Here in latin America we have a saying: "El que mucho abarca poco aprieta", which means "The one who wants to eat all in one, cannot bite that hard".

(not sure on the spelling) :D

pinan shodan

pinan nidan

pinan sandan

pinan yondan

pinan godan

nai pachi

gion

bassai

and most of kushanku

and akari hana ( nunchaku)

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

I have never heard about gion. Could you please tell me more about it?

it's either spelled jion or gion (Jee-on)

the starting move is stepping back breaking an arm,

then someone is grabbing you, so you reach inside the grab and grab their gi,

kick (you know where :)) and three punches....

so those are the first few moves

here i'll put a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMaIzwWDYAk

i don't like the way he does it though :)

Edited by FushinRyu

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

I have never heard about gion. Could you please tell me more about it?

it's either spelled jion or gion (Jee-on)

the starting move is stepping back breaking an arm,

then someone is grabbing you, so you reach inside the grab and grab their gi,

kick (you know where :)) and three punches....

so those are the first few moves

here i'll put a link

i don't like the way he does it though :)

My son is learning jion too. He is the only student that I've seen learning this kata right now and I've not seen any of the older students at his school do this one so I was wondering if it is not a "common" kata.