Espina

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sensei decided to put more focus on less Kata.

So, while we might practice the taikyoku katas, our main katas are:

Seisan

Bassai

Chinto

kusanku

Which, of those, I only know Seisan. I'm looking forward to learing bassai though, because thats my next kata.

So is that Bassai Sho or Dai...because I notice alot of schools only use the Dai instead of the Sho...

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Bassai and Sochin are probably the two most common cross organizational katas I've seen.

But, I've seen so many variations of these two katas that you can barely call them the same kata...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

OK, I am going to take this question at face value, and will just say the ones that I have memorized well enough to practice on my own. Shito-ryu has a gazillion katas, so I might forget some of them.

Pinan 1-5

Kensei-Dai

Matsukaze

Aoyanagi

Rohai Shodan and Nidan

Jyuroku

Jiin

Jitte

Annanko

Seinchin

Naihanchin Shodan and Nidan

Bassai Dai

Enpi

In terms of weapons:

Bo no kihon kata

Syushi no kon sho

Syushi no kon dai

Rohai no kon

Sakugawa no kon sho (still learning it)

Sai no kihon kata 1-4

Rohai no sai

My current favorite open hand katas are Bassai Dai and Enpi, but I also like Annanko and Rohai Nidan a lot. As far as weapons, I really like Sakugawa no kon sho. I hope to have it ready for competition by October, but don't know if I will. It's fun to work on it, though. :)

My current favorite open hand katas are Bassai Dai and Enpi, but I also like Annanko and Rohai Nidan a lot. As far as weapons, I really like Sakugawa no kon sho. I hope to have it ready for competition by October, but don't know if I will. It's fun to work on it, though. :)

If you like Annanko then you will love Annanko no Sai and Annanko no kama.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

saifa

seiha

sanchin

taikyo dai

kho sho

gekisai dai

gekisai di ni

sho kyu

anaku

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Hi quinteros1963There are many of them which I've never heard of, and I practice Goju Ryu too...

These ones I haven't heard of:

Seiha

Taikyo

Kho Sho

Sho Kyu

Anaku

The rest of course I have heard of them, I know them and in fact practice them a lot.

Greco said:

My sensei decided to put more focus on less Kata.

So, while we might practice the taikyoku katas, our main katas are:

Seisan

Bassai

Chinto

kusanku

There's something to be said for this, I think, which is why I hesitated a bit at the question 'what katas do you know'. I will admit that I can be a bit greedy about learning new kata, but overall I think it is probably better to know a few kata really well then to just be "kata collectors". My teachers are always emphasizing that kihon kata is the most important one, and that in tournaments it is better to do an easier/more basic kata well than to do a more advanced one poorly. I believe in this philosophy -- really, I do! -- but I can't help it, I just love learning new kata! I guess the answer, as with so many things, is to find a balance, i.e. go ahead and learn the new kata, but don't go overboard. I just learned 2 new bo kata within the past 3 months, and have only been practicing Bassai Dai in the past 6 months or so as my main performance/competition kata. Sometimes in the advanced class when they are going over kata that are very advanced I will follow along, so that I have some familiarity with them, but in general, I think that my time is better spent working on a few kata over and over again. Plus there are all those old ones that we have to keep practicing so we don't forget them. Too bad there aren't more hours in the day! :)