• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would this interest you?

Lots of broad arts randomize aspets of themselves for work on them during a given period. For instance, it's hard to train for striking, small joint manip, takedowns, ground work, and weapons in a given night. So, they are often broken down and rotated thru the training schedule.

Granted, in this case, we're talking about different arts not parts of a whole, but the concept might not be bad. Like I said, it's a method (not tools) that alot of mma guys use, granted again, the time frames of training are vastly compressed.

Still, you'd have to try it and check on the compatability factor. See how it goes for you. Some guys can do well switching from one to the other. Some don't. It's no foul either way. Of it dosn't work out for you, you can always stop and find something else.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mm.

My dislike of mixing system training togther is intense, to a large degree because I essentially wasted two years of training that way. I don't recommend it to anyone; using different art's DRILLS, sure, but only one set of movement principles should be used.

I tried crosstraining two arts once. I was using a lot of my training time trying to undo the other training I was doing.. and in the end, I only got a tiny bit of material out of it, because the structure was incompatible and didn't map.

Out of two years of being continually broken down in both classes for having form elements from the other style which were completely incompatible and dysfunctional in the other, I got a couple of movement principles - then when I moved to a new instructor, they drilled me on those same principles and introduced me to more advanced and functional forms of them just because they were part of their lineage that they were covering for all their students, and it took them less than two weeks. Two years of "Toes forward, toes forward! Lean in! Cross those arms! I SAID TOES FORWARD!".. "Aargh, you need to turn your toes out to the side! Spine vertical! Don't cross your arms! Turn those toes!" and I got less than two weeks out of it.

I'm sorry to hear that your cross-training experience was this bad. I guess I have been fortunate, and my cross-training experiences have been pretty good.

Like tallgeese says, it can be a viable way to train. But at some point, I think that things have to come together. If what you are doing does not integrate things at some point, then I think you aren't moving in the right direction.

Hmmm Judo and Karatedo do not intertwine that well, since some people are better at the stances used in judo than Karate, this allows for people to learn what they are good at, and some people enjoy different things. If you just do it all in one day it can become boring, but when you mix it up, it is more fun. BUt we have had complaints about some people not wanting to do judo during karate class.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Then it might work out well.

The strengths of judo will certainly compliment those of karate and make one more well rounded.

Our schedule use to be

Tuesday Judo

Thursday Karate

Saturday Kobudo

Why change I dont know...

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Hmmm Judo and Karatedo do not intertwine that well, since some people are better at the stances used in judo than Karate, this allows for people to learn what they are good at, and some people enjoy different things. If you just do it all in one day it can become boring, but when you mix it up, it is more fun. BUt we have had complaints about some people not wanting to do judo during karate class.

Actually I think karate and judo are an excellent mix. Especially the more one trains in judo, the more movements in kata you see that appear to be throws and takedowns.

For instance, one day I was doing several repetitions of Pinan Sono San as part of my home training.

As luck would have it, the day before I was cross-training with a Judo friend of mine. We were working on his strikes and he taught me two different throws, one of which was Ippon Seoi Nage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxQDqgAFS8

It just "clicked" that the movement at 0:40 in Pinan Sono San was so similar to an Ippon Seoi Nage that it couldn't be a coincidence.

Personally I enjoy both and think it's a fantastic mix. Shihan Jon Bluming, a well-known karateka and judoka, actually made up the Kyokushin Budokai organization in 1980 which incorporates knockdown karate with judo throws and newaza.