• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would this interest you?

I don't get it...aikido one week, karate the next. Each of those styles could take years to master...they aren't the same at all.

Bits and pieces of arts, without a solid base...I don't mean to offend...but it's a 'frankenstein' approach to developing students.

Leaves fall.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense taken, at least on my end.

Yes, they are different and each could still take years to implement well. But with a solid and growing base in each you'd have a pretty wide range of skills and tools to throw at a situation.

Like I said, mma-ers tend to train quite a bit in this way. Granted, grappling and standup are done in more rapid succession, but the principle is about the same. And it works pretty well for integrating the ground game and stand up. It might be useful for more trad arts as well.

At worst, you could try it and see how it works out.

Would you go everyclass day if it were included within the bill though?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

If it were included in the bill, like 70 bucks a month for membership to the Dojo, and being able to go to all classes.

However, while it would be cool to familiarize yourself with other styles, two weeks between classes of the same style would make progression in any style very hard.

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

I don't know. Might be a pretty good apprach if your primary focus integration into a whole.

It'd be akin to working stand up one day, ground another, together and spar a third. Lot's of guys work on that schedule. My only gripe would be the lack of reps at each station (aside from not having much intrest in trad weapons).

I'm in a minority, but if they were diciplines I liked, I'd give it a go.

If they all can be integrated well, then sure. However, from the way I see it, it doesn't look like any of the curriculum is going to run together.

The style itself is a mixed style with all the above listed in it, and at times we dont go over Judo for like 3 months, so he was trying to make everything equal, but I think we should just hold class daily, since he doesn't have a full time job, and nor do I.

But our price is between 40-50 bucks a month for everything.

Mm.

My dislike of mixing system training togther is intense, to a large degree because I essentially wasted two years of training that way. I don't recommend it to anyone; using different art's DRILLS, sure, but only one set of movement principles should be used.

I tried crosstraining two arts once. I was using a lot of my training time trying to undo the other training I was doing.. and in the end, I only got a tiny bit of material out of it, because the structure was incompatible and didn't map.

Out of two years of being continually broken down in both classes for having form elements from the other style which were completely incompatible and dysfunctional in the other, I got a couple of movement principles - then when I moved to a new instructor, they drilled me on those same principles and introduced me to more advanced and functional forms of them just because they were part of their lineage that they were covering for all their students, and it took them less than two weeks. Two years of "Toes forward, toes forward! Lean in! Cross those arms! I SAID TOES FORWARD!".. "Aargh, you need to turn your toes out to the side! Spine vertical! Don't cross your arms! Turn those toes!" and I got less than two weeks out of it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

The style has been around since the 60's its not going to die down because of this its a franchise.

The styles that are taught are incorporated into the style but we cannot teach 3-4 styles in a one hour day...

I just want to know what everyone thinks about alternating class styles every week...

If they are incorporated, they are not different styles and you should not be able to see any differentiation between classes beyond the types of drills and exercizes you are doing - you practice the one incorporated art every day. If they are differing styles, then it seems foolish to be randomly mixing them to me.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia