• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leg vs Foot kicking

I'm not sure that I agree with the critique of he instep being a left-over bad technique from point sparring. Though, I think it would be misapplied to use it on the ribs or abdomen, on a whole due to the danger of elbows.

Protection Aspect

The instep kick is well adapted for any leg attack, especially to the outside leg attack. The toe kick would be great, save that it would be easier to break your toes coming upwards at such an angle to such a low and slanted target.

The toes back are better suited to rib and head strikes with a full roundhouse (though due to the knee torque, the instep is still better suited for the 45 to the ribs, but with danger of the elbow block- though this can be considered offset by the additional speed granted by the shorter range and quicker motions of the 45 roundhouse)

The shin kick is well suited for any attack, with the following downsides:

The shorter length of the striking point from the fulcrum (knee or hip depending on the kick style) means that the striking point is moving slightly slower than the foot.

The foot sticking out from the shin offers additional jeopardy to the foot being injured accidentally, or being snagged.

The shin, while less susceptible to breaking, is more vital a break than the foot. When the shin is offered, a good strike to the shin may, in fact, cripple you for the fight and some time after (if you survive). Whereas with a defensively balanced foot kick, if the foot is injured, you may be hurt, but the immediate danger and long term damage can be less severe on the whole.

Power Aspect:

There is more hard force to the shin.

There is more speed to the foot.

There is more accuracy required with the foot, and less a striking area, meaning the same force is dispersed within a smaller area; it is the opposite for the shin.

Training Aspect:

With either technique, your foot is exposed to real danger.

If you practice foot kicking, it is strengthened.

If you practice shin, it is not.

Training both would be a great idea.

Tactical Aspects:

If you are going to sacrifice the distance from shin to foot, you are already close to the range of a jumping knee kick.

Ups and downs. I'll stick with my foot, but won't neglect the shin.

Peace.

"It is better to die for one's master than to fight the enemy."

- Hagakure

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure the the foot is more resilient than the shin. I think that the shin is a firmer structure, and a better natural weapon than the foot, but that's just me.

Welcome to the Forums, Dark Planet. :karate:

Thanks, Bushido man.

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to imply that the foot is more resilient against damage, but that the foot, when broken, is less serious a problem than the shin when broken.

Peace to you.

- Hagakure

Nobody's mentioned the ball of the foot yet. I agree the shin is a lot better weapon than the instep but the ball of the foot can be devastating depending on the target. A mawashi to the ribs or the sternum with the ball of the foot is nasty.

If the foot is broken, doesn't that hurt a chance at escape, as well?

Definitely but it is way easier to escape or continue to fight on a broken foot over a broken leg. Somethings I wish I couldn't attest to.

Though, the initial resilience of the shin does make a big factor to offset this one. It's true and poignant that here's no use in worrying about which break is worse is it doesn't break in the first place.

I just would be nervous about my foot dangling out there, and sacrificing that half a foot of reach.

Peace.

- Hagakure

I think that the half foot reach that you're giving up to use the foot is probably less important in a sd situation that most would think. These things tend to close up fast and happen at tight distances.

The shin, being as I'm fond of saying, nature's baseball bat, is a solid striking surface that transmits big doses of force. Properly thrown, the foot at the end should be behind the action, and thus, relatively safe.