• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breathing

JohnKeats

I'm pretty sure this topic has already appeared some other time. But I would like that everyone who knows about the subject, to post "breathing concepts". What is ibuki breathing, for instance? How does someone breath in specific katas? Breathing exercises? Anything breathing-related is welcome.

I am quite interested in the subject, and there are probably a lot of knowledgeable people in here... so come on! Tell something so that everyone learns it :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KillerMiller is a big proponent of "Breathing Timing," and he explains it quite well. Hopefully, he chimes in here soon with his take.

As for me, I don't have any particular concepts in mind, other than to make sure that I do breathe. Typically, I exhale forcefully when executing an individual technique, like in basics. In forms, or basic combinations, sometimes I'll breathe in between a set of techniques, and exhale throughout a series of moves.

That's about it for me. :) Good topic, though. I await other replies, as well.

Ibuki breathing is usually done in the Yoi position in most katas but in Goju Ryu their sanchin Kata has that heavy deep breathing all the way through...when I first started I would end up choking on my phlegm...sick I know haha.

Heres a linik

Ibuki is all the loud noises haha

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

My breathing is primarily centered around attacks, and is short and forceful, much like boxing. This has the effect of filling the torso with air and prevents a total loss of wind if countered.

I thend to avoid exhalations that are too long or involve vocal componants simply becuae too much force tends to stop movement or focus you almost exclusivly on a single strike. This impeade your ability to strike in combination.

I've also studied for a time while training in Aikijujutsu for taking strikes. It's a neat componant to breathing, but one that I've kind of moved away from since I found it's application in movment based defense patterns less than ideal.

In my art we replaced the Kiais with forcefull breathing. It basically does the same thing and so we replaced it. I have also found that exhaling when getting hit reduces the pain from getting hit. And exhaling when hitting speeds me up and gives me more power.

Currently a Blue Belt in AKKI Kenpo

I would like that everyone who knows about the subject, to post "breathing concepts".

This will sound extremely basic, but remembering to breathe rather than hold your breath is of utmost importance. My white belt days were fraught with "do it all in one breath," which was never my teacher's rule. I think breathing in proper accordance to what you're doing (e.g., a form as opposed to sparring) is an important measure of advancement.

I recall an explanation of the importance of breathing out when falling, so that takedowns could be practiced better. The tendency to hold one's breath is like keeping a weight inside your chest. It's better to release that pressure than to hit the mat with it.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

well most everyone summed it up so far. With us we are taught to breathe in our lower diaphram (sp?) or lower lungs more or less on setting into a stance before a technique.

Just as we start to execute a technique we work on controlling the breathe (exhale) and tightening the muscles till we are set in the form.

We also will practice this in meditation as well.

I will try to post something this weekend on breathing when I have some time - I've been really busy lately. I think my "Mind Dumping" article in the article section covers breathing timing a bit. But I'll put something together a little more comprehensive for you guys/gals...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/