• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mobility on the ground

As usual when I start a topic, I'm looking for a little advice. I help teach in our dojo, and what I and PitbullJudoka bring to the table is ground work amoung other things.

We preach mobility and motion on the feet and on the ground. People in class seem to get circling and moving in and out when fighting on their feet. However, and why I'm posting under the grappling board, I need some ideas on how to drive home mobility on the ground as important. Because, once they hit the ground, with very few exceptions, they go dead and fight from one spot. No hip movement, no shrimping or bucking unless coached. And even then, not much. Any ideas how to drill that mobility into folks? Something you were drilled on that seemed to make it stick that you have to move on the ground? Getting the intellectual knowledge into practical use seems to be the trouble.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it's deeply fundamental for us, we don't grapple. Also, I don't know what stance you're using on the ground, or how much time you're spending there, or why. Could you elaborate a bit on what exactly mobility on the ground means in this sense?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

BJJ flow drills help in this, coupled with focusing on the "positional" game while rolling. Keeping on folks to fight with their whole body, rather than only one piece (e.g. only arms). Lastly, Roman - Greco style (High School) wrestling has several drills that emphasize movement / mobility which can be adapted to groundwork (which your bio says you have experience in).

Not sure if this is the level of detail that you're looking for.

Try warming up with shrimping drills at the outset of every class as well and empasis the importance of moving.

You can also work what we call 30 second drills. Go over then practice escapes from a certain posture. Then go live with the guy in superior position simply grappling to hold position, the escapee then has to move quickly to try and escape in 30 secs. It get's people moving well. Just don't let them get sloppy.

Try setting up series of movemets to work. There's a thread down a bit further with some good flow suggestions from a few people. Drill a single movements, then begin to stack on couthers and counter-counters. Get this up to about 4-6 movements and you'll get them moving well.

Just some thoughts.

Noting the Kempo side, which is striking - realize that even though you might end up on the ground, the person you are fighting may not.

Practice starting with one person on the floor, fighting someone standing and unhindered. The best course of action for the person standing is not to grapple, but instead to maneuver to strike the one on the floor; if the one on the floor wants to avoid this, they need to move. If you have ice or slippery mud where you live, this is easier to see the value of.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Two things will lead to a fundamental understanding of movement on the ground.

1. Practice/Drilling

2. Experience in open mat/ rolling

A person will stay in the same place until their body learns to move. It must be drilled and recognized while rolling.

It's important to recognize that movement on the ground is highly unnatural. That's why it takes so much more practice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I appriceate the responces. We do a pass, to mount/sweep to guard drill with the guys and we a light pummeling drill standing. We've done 30sec explosion drills now and then. Getting active and heavy hips, as well as just moving instead of a stagnant struggle is what we are trying to get them to.

Shrimping to warm up sounds good untill I run into the limited space we're working with. I've thought about trying to get people to shrimp while a partner "rides" from either mount or inside the guard. Pairing a more experienced student with one of the newer ones for the drill.

Really, its making people remember, or at least listen to the couching from the instructors who are telling them to move even when on the bottom. I'm not expecting these guys to do hip-switch passes by next week. I just want them to keep moving to create opportunities.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I think that the partner drill would be the best route to take, ShoriKid. Especially with your limited room. That way, they associate it with someone being on them at the time, too. Move when someone is on top, and the more experienced guys can coach them along.

I think that the partner drill would be the best route to take, ShoriKid. Especially with your limited room. That way, they associate it with someone being on them at the time, too. Move when someone is on top, and the more experienced guys can coach them along.

Agreed! The non-partner drills are ok just to teach the body mechanics...but they need a human being with them as they drill if they're going to get it down properly.

Are there any specific types of movement you wanted advice on? Afterall, movement on the ground is very different than movement on the feet.

Here's a good basic vid from Demian Maia. You could use this as a drill. It would work well to teach the proper movement from the guard and defending the pass.