• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't bring work/home to the MA school...

I had been thinking about this for about a week now, as I was having a very trying week last week; one of the most trying of my life. I'll not go into the details, but this post helped me to marshall my thoughts for a thread:

as an instructor he should also be aware that what happens outside the dojo should stay outside of it....its a bad habit to bring outside stuff into the inner dojo.

Like a family man/woman, we know it is important to not bring work home with us. At the same time, we shouldn't take home or work to the dojo/school with us.

So last week, when I finally got to hit a class, I didn't know how I was going to react mentally. I was having one of those weeks when you just want to beat on something, to let all that stress out, mainly because you just constantly think about what is bothering you. But, when I got to class, and started warming up, and working out, it all went away; it just put itself on hold it seemed like. During class, I didn't worry about what was bothering me, but worried about the normal TKD class things; am I leaning over a bit when I do my side kick? Am I locking my back leg compeletly in my front stances? Am I getting good pivot on my round kicks? Those are the things I thought of. I'll tell you this, going to class that night was probably one of the best things I could have done that week. And when I sparred, my problems didn't come back, either. I was just myself, and I think that was very important.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, sorry to hear about the bummer week.

I agree, and I've found at similar times, that training at it's best does block out all that garbage and allow you really focus. Glad it helped out, and hope things swing up from here.

I think it's imperative that we as insturctors or students try to keep other things off the mat. What we're doing there is too important to be distracted.

Thanks, Alex.

And yes, things are looking better now. :) I was glad to see that when I got to class, emotion didn't take over, and effect my training.

I've had days like that myself. Actually working out releases all the anger and aggravation inside; but I know how sometimes it is difficult to leave the days worth of anger outside THE MOMENT you walk into the dojang. It usually takes me a while.

Likewise, I've had substitute instructors whom you can tell had a bad day at work because of the way they come into the class and how they conduct themselves during.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I agree, Tiger. Working out does help release that anger and frustration.

I was even impressed, however, that I didn't even think to use this anger to power my workout; I just worked out.

It's funny, sort of, because my instructor used to always tell me that he knew when I had a bad day or was angry because every technique I did was stronger, more forceful and I sparred without hesitation - meaning I didn't act as though I was afraid to hurt my partner. Hearing this always embarrassed me for some reason, I don't know why. I don't like to wear my heart on my sleeve but martial arts was always an healthy release of stress for me. Ah well.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Sorry to hear about your bad day also.

I know I like to go to the dojo and pound on something or :D someone when I feel like that. But I try very hard to leave it outside of the dojo and out of my home.

There were many times that I went into the Dojo and threw down with people and with my self because of the bad times I was having...at the time it was big but now I look at it, it was so minor and trivial that it should have never bothered me (high school life, teenager stuff...problems with the girls, etc etc). And I would end up hurting myself more then I was doing good. One time I hit the leather heavy bag so hard I sprained my wrist and busted a knuckle, after that my teacher told me to go home and not come back till I was ready to leave my problems outside of the dojo like the garbage it is (The reason he told me to leave is because I was a high brown at the time and he would not have one of his senior students acting that way). So I did leave and when I did come back I was better. Im not sure how I began to leave my problems outside of the dojo, but I know the way my teacher handled me had alot to do with it. I understand now that he was probably one of the better teachers I had, soft and gentle but deadly in his own right. He never had one day where he was mad in the dojo, but outside, he swore like a sailor and kept an attitude with people around him who he did not agree with. But not once did I ever see him talk about anything other than martial arts in the dojo.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I like the sound of that instructor, Traymond. Cussing like a sailor, I can relate to. :)

As for wanting to beat on something when having a bad day, I am all for it. But, I think it is something done better in private, so you can focus your frustrations onto that bag, and you don't have to worry about others seeing.

I like the sound of that instructor, Traymond. Cussing like a sailor, I can relate to. :)

As for wanting to beat on something when having a bad day, I am all for it. But, I think it is something done better in private, so you can focus your frustrations onto that bag, and you don't have to worry about others seeing.

I agree. I'd rather keep it in private too :wink: