• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your philosophy of the one inch punch and it having to deal with Ki or Chi energy??

I believe that you have to have Ki (chi) to have a good one inch punch, thats my opinion, but whats yours?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that it's all body mechanics, physics and intent. Nothing more.

It is impressive to see done well.

I do think that sometimes people lose sight of why they train it. It shouldn't be and end to itself. If you're training it to learn to generate power in short spaces and tight confines, then by all means, practice away. If you're just doing it to be able to do a good one inch punch, then it falls into the parlor trick catagory.

My opinion is that you should train mind and body, so that your un aware of what it is working, your mind or your body. That way we can always keep and open mind to all things to do with the arts.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that it's all body mechanics, physics and intent. Nothing more.

My thoughts as well. I don't really buy into the Ki flow and all that. I don't know that Bruce Lee ever said anything about Ki being a part of the technique, either.

Indeed Bruce Lee did not say he had a chi flow in his one inch punch, but Leung Chum, Sigung Yip Man, Great Grandmaster Chu Shong Tin, and Grand master Jim Fung did say they have chi.

But everyone has their own opinions on where our power comes from. I am in between with strength and Ki (chi).

I get annoyed at people who continually try to put off demonstrations of practiced skill by just saying, essentially, 'That's impossible, and I don't care to entertain the notion that hard work and superior technique might be involved. I'll just claim that magic is responsible.' All too often, that 'explanation' is simply used as an excuse to justify mediocrity and avoid effective training.

I do a number of things that require trained skill, practice, relaxation, and the like. I find that many people will argue with me, claiming that I am deluded in thinking that it is a practiced skill; clearly, I am using magic unknowingly. It is offensive, and it lets them excuse being lazy and watching TV; after all, they haven't got the secret magic powers that I have and just denied needing to pike a handstand.

Most of the Qi work I have seen has seemed nearer to using the Qi concepts and visualizations to enhance the users' control of their own body and mind, within natural limits, than to the fireball-launching, X-wing-lifting sorcery that some people seem to envision it as.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I get annoyed at people who continually try to put off demonstrations of practiced skill by just saying, essentially, 'That's impossible, and I don't care to entertain the notion that hard work and superior technique might be involved. I'll just claim that magic is responsible.' All too often, that 'explanation' is simply used as an excuse to justify mediocrity and avoid effective training.

I do a number of things that require trained skill, practice, relaxation, and the like. I find that many people will argue with me, claiming that I am deluded in thinking that it is a practiced skill; clearly, I am using magic unknowingly. It is offensive, and it lets them excuse being lazy and watching TV; after all, they haven't got the secret magic powers that I have and just denied needing to pike a handstand.

Most of the Qi work I have seen has seemed nearer to using the Qi concepts and visualizations to enhance the users' control of their own body and mind, within natural limits, than to the fireball-launching, X-wing-lifting sorcery that some people seem to envision it as.

So do you believe that Ki (qi) is used in the one inch punch concept if done correctly? Or do you disagree with the fact, because your post seems to go both ways with it in my eye sight, haha.

I support the training and methodology as being useful, but do not see it as a "real" thing. Qi cannot be "used" in a one-inch punch, because it has no objective reality; you can't use it to power your arm any more than you can power your fist with the idea of the month of February. Using the -model- of Qi will help you learn how to use your muscles and body structure to do a good one-inch punch though, and it is the most accessible model available to learn that.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I support the training and methodology as being useful, but do not see it as a "real" thing. Qi cannot be "used" in a one-inch punch, because it has no objective reality; you can't use it to power your arm any more than you can power your fist with the idea of the month of February. Using the -model- of Qi will help you learn how to use your muscles and body structure to do a good one-inch punch though, and it is the most accessible model available to learn that.

Alright, but what would you say if the philosophy of qi could be simple like the philosophy of Adrenaline, couldn't the two be linked or couldn't the two be the other?

Because Adrenaline does make you stronger and/or quicker.

Alright, but what would you say if the philosophy of qi could be simple like the philosophy of Adrenaline, couldn't the two be linked or couldn't the two be the other?

Because Adrenaline does make you stronger and/or quicker.

You can't really compare the two. Adrenaline is an actual chemical. You can extract it or synthesise it in a lab; its an actual physical thing and the effects are proven. Qi on the other hand is only a concept rather than an actual thing. I'm no expert but IMO I don't think the use of Qi can be synonymous with the effects of adrenaline.

I agree with JusticeZero though in that the concepts used to develop Qi and utilise it does wonders for physical technique in that it allows you to mentally focus on doing the technique better and so actually do it better (if that makes sense :-? ). Kinda removes all the mental barriers and just lets you do it properly because you believe you can.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius