• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Counter the round kick...

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not a quick counter-type guy, but when I am in open stance, I try to spin side kick at times. The spin heel kick is one that is a treat, too, and after seeing that one a few times, guys tend to bail out on you once you start to spin (as far as our type of sparring goes).

However, sometimes, I'll just block and absorb the kick, then move in with punches until they back away, and land my own kick.

So now, what kind of footwork do you apply to the defense, if any?

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . or crash into the baddie and stay tight.

He must be so surprised when you're suddenly in his face, wishing him "Trick or Treat" as you crash into him.

:)

Moving in and crowding the kick works rather well. Remember, the business end of the kick is at the end. If he never gets to extend the kick, it has no effect.

You need to practice this with a trusted partner. Work it through slowly at first and remember to keep the guard up.

Moving in and crowding the kick works rather well. Remember, the business end of the kick is at the end. If he never gets to extend the kick, it has no effect.

On Thursday night, a fellow student stayed after class with me to work on a sparring combo that we'd done last week and was kind of fun. The last part of it was the roundhouse kick, and though in Soo Bahk Do the Muay Thai shin kick isn't in the art, since it was after class, our teacher had no objection to us practicing it.

I found that the height difference between my friend and me worked to my advantage, in that, being shorter, when I did the shin kick, it was more natural to me as an infighter, but when he executed it, I was better able to block it by placing my hand against his knee. The "business end" of his roundhouse, whether instep or shin, was blocked by a simple hand motion, not even a leg raise on my part.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I like the idea of crashing the kick, and it isn't something that is done a lot in our style. Mainly, we hang back and counter. I like the idea, though, and may have to start working with it more.

I like the spin heel kick, Heidi. At times, I'll throw it to the body. They may have their hands guarding, but there is a lot of momentum there, and they will likely get knocked over anyways.

Crashing the kick is great. I should throw in too, though, that in certain forms of sparring it can be more difficult to utilize.

This tactic really come into it's own when you can power hard in the inside with combos to shift their body posture, or strike and tie up. In rule sets that mandate a break after contact it would be less than ideal due to the close nature of the tactic and the lack of the ability to follow up with more stirkes.

Minimal contact will also hinder the movement because you won't be able to really move the individual and overwhelm him. It will still work here, vastly better than with any sort of stoppage, but now as well as it will with forceful (not necissarily full) contact.

Still, it's a great tactic but one you have to commit to fully. It's my favorite choice, but even I don't get it done everytime. It's very aggressive and presses the fight hard to the opponant. It's best used in situations where that mindset will sevre the plan well.

A front or side kick to the belt knot as they start their rotation. Jamming in and countering with a hard straight with the same hand(Straight right counters right leg kicks etc.). Countering with a thigh kick to the supporting leg or cut kicking, timing means a lot here though.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

On Thursday night, a fellow student stayed after class with me to work on a sparring combo that we'd done last week and was kind of fun. The last part of it was the roundhouse kick, and though in Soo Bahk Do the Muay Thai shin kick isn't in the art, since it was after class, our teacher had no objection to us practicing it.

I found that the height difference between my friend and me worked to my advantage, in that, being shorter, when I did the shin kick, it was more natural to me as an infighter, but when he executed it, I was better able to block it by placing my hand against his knee. The "business end" of his roundhouse, whether instep or shin, was blocked by a simple hand motion, not even a leg raise on my part.

Exactly the way to work it out joesteph. Grab a trusted partner and work out the various options and bugs without getting your head kicked in. Then you roll it out in class or a tournament.

I like the idea of crashing the kick, and it isn't something that is done a lot in our style. Mainly, we hang back and counter. I like the idea, though, and may have to start working with it more.

Exactly jam the kick up to negate its power.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• 2 months later...

Not only does that negate a bit of the incoming power, but it destroys the attackers balance adn additionally, may even hurt/damage a 'special' set of muscles if done with enough leverage/force :)

OSU.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."