Counter the round kick...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For round kicks I tend to go the same way the kicks are going. I love it when people under turn, and then they get landed with a fist to their stomach or their chest. And then I hear "Ippon, Ippon"...haha.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Depends on distancing and where the kick is going, but the ones I use most:

- if the kick is coming to the mid section open side, use inner forearm of the front arm (right arm if right leg forward) to sweep/block it whilst turning towards the kick, continue turning and follow through with reverse turning kick, axe kick, hook kick or a hand technique depending on the situation.

- switch back kick moving away from the person. Have to be using your opposite leg to whatever they are kicking with, i.e. if they roundhouse with their right, you kick with your left. Only works if they haven't fully rotated their torso to side on .

- this one's a little dangerous and I'd only use it in sport. Switch your stance into them so they catch you on the back, (kicks to the back don't score). Most times you need to switch into the kick so they catch you before it is fully extended otherwise be prepared to soak it up :o. Simulaneously jab with the lead arm and follow on with whatever hand combo. You have towatch for kicks coming off of their other leg into your open side.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

- switch back kick moving away from the person. . . .

- this one's a little dangerous and I'd only use it in sport. Switch your stance into them so they catch you on the back . . .

I remember practicing something like a combo of these a couple of months ago, DWx. My partner was able to kick much higher than I can, so he was doing roundhouses high enough that I could turn, let the instep "bounce" off my turned shoulder, and do a back (donkey style) kick as my response. It was fun; something I could see using in sport.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

If it's to the leg, check with the shin and immediately throw the cross as I set the foot back down.

If it's body, check with forarms, elbows and go with an overhand with whatever hand is loaded for power. Most people tend to drop the hands when picking the kicks up.

To the head, I just try to distance out and crash before they regain balance.

To the head, I just try to distance out and crash before they regain balance.

Tallgeese, what do you mean by "distance out"? Do you actually mean "barge in" and try to knock them over with a shove ("before they regain balance"), or am I misinterpreting?

I remember seeing a video and photos of Erle Montaigue (spelling?) in the past, with one or both of these having him doing this while demonstrating Tai Chi against a high roundhouse.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Aside from blocking it with sune uke (shin block), I think one of my favorites is (if from a left lead stance) to step out with the right foot, bring the left foot around, and then counter with my own roundhouse with the right leg. It's essentially a moon type motion, say 6 to 3 if facing forward is 12 o'clock.

Sorry, joe. I ment that to be an "or" in there.

So, I either back or circle out of distance v. the head level kick or crash into the baddie and stay tight.