• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The way the ranking systems tend to work....

As for physically being ready to test, I tend to think that there is a certain amount of paying one's dues involved here.

Some one with advanced training in a system similar to a new one he's piciking up will definatly tend to progress faster. But, if he's an outsider to the art and group, he'll still have to stick around and put some time in.

That's just my opinion. But remember that this guy is going to represent you. You want to make sure that his game is to the standard at all ranges that it needs to be to meet your criteria. You'll also want to make him put in some blood and sweat with you in the tradition of your art.

So, can one go faaster, yes. Can they ever get past spending a certain amount of time in? Not with me. Espically at bb rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok what about this. Their is a minimum of 30 class hours needed but they only offer one class a week. (This is going from white to orange). You been going till you only have ten classes left, but on this particular day is the only testing date till another four months. Would you allow him to test or not? This is a situation when he has to pay you a 50 dollar testing fee per test as well.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I think the best way, and one that often happens naturally, is a bell curve approach to the time taken during the ranks. When you first start out, any sort of basic skill is picked up and the improvement between raw and untrained, and slightly skilled, is readily evident. so, your promotions then can go quickly by. Asking for too much developement, too much foundational work between the early ranks can set an unrealistic level of expectation. I'm not saying its bad to want a solid base. However, if you put too much preasure on the level of skill needed to leave white and go for yellow belt, can a beginner achieve that skill in a reasonable time, say six months, before you see heavily deminishing returns?

The early belts can go by quickly. What you need to know for those belts, and the level of understanding you can expect, is not that hard to achieve. But, as you progress into the middle belts, the time needed will naturally stretch out. Then, once you hit the more advanced belts, the time level can dial back. If your organization mandates something other than just physical skill for advancement, you fullfil those requirements and advance at your own pace.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Hmm, what I dont understand is that if your not with an organization, than why have time restrictions?

My answer to your particular question, Traymond is a "maybe". It all depends. We're such a small group, we can test pretty much whenever we want. So I'd probibly just do it when it's covinenant after reaching the 30 class mark.

If it's a now or later decision however, it's just a big "maybe" for allowing him to test. How good are his movements? His understanding of the principles of the system? His applicatin? How much experiance does he have elsewhere? In what? Ect.

Not to mention, where does he fall in realtion to the rest of the club? Is this going to be a guy who sticks around for awhile, or just another guy looking to test. It does matter.

Sorry I can't give a more concrete reply. But there are alot of factors. I could see it going either way.

The early belts can go by quickly. What you need to know for those belts, and the level of understanding you can expect, is not that hard to achieve. But, as you progress into the middle belts, the time needed will naturally stretch out. Then, once you hit the more advanced belts, the time level can dial back. If your organization mandates something other than just physical skill for advancement, you fullfil those requirements and advance at your own pace.

I see your point here. I know that as one gets better at something, it is hard to imagine that someone else struggles with something that we might view as simple, like a front stance. But, I try not to expect too much out of them, but I want them to get good, and feel confident.

I guess one problem that I have with my system is that the testing cycles are right at two months, regardless of rank. The instructor can hold us back, if he chooses to, but each belt has a minimum two month cycle. I think at first few, it could be 3, then maybe 4 at the intermediate, then putting time in at the higher ranks. Of course, I'd like to see a more in-depth curriculum implemented at my school, too. But, that is another problem...

I guess one problem that I have with my system is that the testing cycles are right at two months, regardless of rank. The instructor can hold us back, if he chooses to, but each belt has a minimum two month cycle. I think at first few, it could be 3, then maybe 4 at the intermediate, then putting time in at the higher ranks. Of course, I'd like to see a more in-depth curriculum implemented at my school, too. But, that is another problem...

But how many classes do you have a week and how many hours are they?

Perhaps your system wants to see how much they are practicing at home and not just at the dojang.

The school offers 4 classes a week at an hour per class. I do think that practicing at home is important, but I think that our priority is in the classes to prepare the student as much as we can.

I just heard that there was a reduction between rank promotions in the style I used to study. I find that very disappointing because to me, I see it as "just moving the students along" kind of thing so as not to lose them as customers (rather than not promoting students until they are actually READY and capable of knowing their stuff).

Who's to say who is really qualified now. What a shame. :roll:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

That doesn't sound like a good thing, Tiger. I hope its not the reason you stated, either. But, it could be. I hope it doesn't effect your school negatively.