• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

totally agree with looking at different arts and learning from them but might I be radical and suggest that you wait till you you have your 3rd dan in one art.

I humble believe at 1st dan (which is a great achievement) you can now start to learn. from 3rd you start to understand.

Please consolidate and become more proficient in your base art to avoid watering down and becoming a generalist.

Sent with best wishes and good luck.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends on one's view point. I prefer to think that I had been learning from day 1, and that every lesson up the that black belt point is just as important as those that come after it.

Nor do I feel that rank in one art has any relevance on the ability to attain skill and advancement in another art.

I am in no way suggesting that you do not start to learn until you get you black belt I am now 45 and have been training in various martial arts since the age of 6 and am a firm believer that you learn everyday and not just from those who are further on their journey, you can learn more sometimes from the fresh faced new starter who has no previous input of thought on your art.

I am purely saying that in my experience gaining a 1st dan is much like passing your driving test, it proves you understand the basics and can apply them safely and with some thought, but I am sure you would agree with me that when you have past your driving test that this does not make you an good/advanced driver.

To utilise another analogy Star Wars and the young talented Anikan Starwalker had reached the 1st Dan position potentially over confident and thinking he knew enough to be able to make the right choices only to fall to the dark side.

I have trained in main arts and learnt from all and Wado was not the first art I trained in but was the one that I have focused on and trained in to a level that allows me to explore other arts and see the links to my art without falling to the dark side.

Consolidation of training is essential is you are to become a true master rather than a jack of all trades and master of non, it is a thin line I can only share you my experience for what it is worth. The person who raised the question has his own journey and decisions to make everyone else is only watch and is principled hoping they make he right choice.

So what of the styles that don't use rank to show any indication of skill level? At what point would the "traditionalist" reference them to being ready to look into another style?