• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right now i take Kenpo Jui Jitsui. I just recieved my black belt. I want to look into starting in a new system of martial arts while continuing this one. I do not like throwing that much but i do like juijisui and strikking. What are some styles for me??

James G D Jr

Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

By "juijitsui" are you talking standing grappling/locks and take downs, or ground grappling? BJJ is the easy default if you like ground grappling, though many other schools, if you scout them first, offer plenty of good material.

Striking....where to start? Do you favore punching or kicking more or a blend? How hard to you want to hit/be hit? Too many to shake a stick at.

A more important question may be, what is available in your area?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Some forms of GoJu might give you what you need. I've seen some pretty joint work intensive schools.

Conversly, RyuKyu Kempo would probibly fit the billyou describe perfectly. However, they're relitively hard to find.

Uechi Ryu and Uechi Ryu influenced Kobudo using the tekko, Chisai Kun BO and the Jiwa are good standing grappling and striking martial arts.

Also Shuai and Sanda have small standing grappling. But I would try to move away from some of the grappling and work on your weaker points like the parts you do not like such as throwing.

Take some traditional Kodokan Judo or Aikido to learn to throw better.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Look at the mechanics of the arts you are considering; if the body mechanics and stances are different, it will be vastly harder on you. Boxing and Judo for instance, I am told blend together almost seamlessly and are a breeze to work with as a result.

I wasted two years crosstraining a CMA with my Capoeira and couldn't make any of the stances or mechanics tie together. All I accomplished really was two years of having to correct mistakes in my main art I created with the CMA practice.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Hmmm I love Capoeria...but their is no place to take it up here in michigan. I took some in california, but their is no where to do it up here.

Hapkido has some standing joint stuff, but it might not be different from what you have done.

Just about any striking style should do you right. Goju Ryu might help you see integrations with what you already know. Wado Ryu perhaps, as well?

Oh yeah I completely forgot about hapkido, that is true. it has alot of Manipulations similar to Chin na, alot to do with the wrist and finger tips.

Wado is good, the basic self defense series of the wado ryu style was extremely efficient.

• 1 month later...

If you want to do more throwing, there's Aikijutsu, Judo, Aikido. Aikijutsu is throwing blended with jujutsu-like locks, etc. If you're looking for something that's a bit more pure throwing (or nearly so), try Aikido or Judo.

If you want to continue with the striking, I'd suggest Boxing or Muay Thai. Sure it's all striking but they are different enough that you will still be learning a different way to do things so you won't be bored.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.