• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jerky Sensei

kkennedy219

That's a VERY tough situation. I'd have to agree with the others that have already said to question if he's ok, and see if he opens up. The only situation I can recall with out sensei is that he did not join our instructor's class until 20min in. The senior instructor got things rolling. He had entered the middle dojo where we were still warming up, and apologized for his delay. He stated that he was "having a rough day" and needed the extra time to mediate, and clear his head before joining to instruct the class. He seemed a bit distant the rest of class but he didn't blow up. I hope everything turns out ok.

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hum... this one's difficult. Has your sensei reacted positively to confrontation before? I'm with the others on that the relationship between student and teacher is important-- my teachers are supportive and friendly, and in this way they make their students happy. Karate is a place where we don't feel pressured to work until we drop, and it becomes fun. I guess that the system of verbal abuse works for some students, but if you think he is going too far, I would encourage that you talk to him about it. Otherwise, you'll be agonizing over it for a long time, and that will affect your training as well as your conscience.

--

second degree brown belt, American/Shaolin kenpo karate

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

And also...as an instructor he should also be aware that what happens outside the dojo should stay outside of it....its a bad habit to bring outside stuff into the inner dojo.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

This is heard times and I am sure everyone is feeling the stress but he needs to keep it out side of the dojo or he will drive business away and that is not what he needs. so as what was stated above, tell him about it but approach it delicately or he will lash out at you.

This is heard times and I am sure everyone is feeling the stress but he needs to keep it out side of the dojo or he will drive business away and that is not what he needs. so as what was stated above, tell him about it but approach it delicately or he will lash out at you.

And if he happens to lash out at you...you no longer need to have respect for him as a teacher.

And also...as an instructor he should also be aware that what happens outside the dojo should stay outside of it....its a bad habit to bring outside stuff into the inner dojo.

I agree here, too. It has to be akin to leaving your work at work, and not taking it home with you.

...and, this is good fodder for another thread....

Well, as it turns out, the guy has a hernia...so I'm now guessing his grumpiness was due to excruciating pain. He was actually really cool during Monday's class, and tonight another instructor taught the class and told us sensei was resting up before hernia surgery. I'm sorry for his pain, but I'm glad the jerk has gone bye bye.

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

oooh...hernias...the evil cousin of the pulled abdominal muscle...yow!

• 1 year later...

if you guys had a little kids class, i can totally understand. unless you've taught a little kid, you don't know what the word patience means. cuz we have a " little ninjas " class with kids with ages 4-7 that we teach and that's usually my stress trigger, but the worst i've done is give a few extra push ups for the kids that act up a little in the next class!

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

In my opinion its really not a student's place to confront their sensei in how they decide to run class or treat students... at best you could maybe ask your sensei if everything is all right with them and perhaps express concerns that they've seemed off lately... but that will really depend on your relationship with your sensei. When it comes down to it though if your sensei's behavior is not to your liking and doesn't change you can always move on and find a new school to train at.

the thing is it might not be the students place but alt'ly its affecting the students learning in karate. So if a student approaches their sensei and says politely 'sensei, i think that training sesh was very out of the ordinary for you, is something bothering you?' you are being a student who is expressing concern while also saying that was out of character for them to teach that way.

~Rhi