• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jerky Sensei

kkennedy219

So our sensei is typically a really great guy...friendly, helpful and an excellent teacher who really encourages students to succeed. The past several weeks, however, he has somehow morphed into a real jerk. He has never been a jerk to me personally, but I have witnessed the jerkdom being directed at others, inclding little kids. There are a couple of teenagers in my class (adult intermediate) who are very shy, kind of geeky, withdrawn and lacking in confidence. It seems clear to me that the way to reach these kids would be through positive reinforcement and enouragement. But lately sensei seems hell-bent on tearing them down in front of the whole class. And then in my kids' class yesterday, he made an 8 year old cry and then told him to get out of the class if he was going to be a crybaby. I was floored. Unfortunately, the kid's parents were not there to see it. But lately, my head has just not been in the game, so to speak, and I think the reason has something to do with sensei's change in personality. I understand that he's stressed out about money (his wife is very forthcoming with the personal details about their lives), but in my book that's no excuse to act like a putz.

Anyone else have this type of experience and what, if anything, did you do about it?

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked up to the guy after class and essentially said 'Dude, I know you've got stuff going on in your life that might be upsetting you, but I felt that the way you handled that situation was completely inappropriate. I'd appreciate it if you kept your stress outside the doors, and if you don't feel like you can handle things at the moment, you have some good senior students who can handle things for you while you cool off.'

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

In my opinion its really not a student's place to confront their sensei in how they decide to run class or treat students... at best you could maybe ask your sensei if everything is all right with them and perhaps express concerns that they've seemed off lately... but that will really depend on your relationship with your sensei. When it comes down to it though if your sensei's behavior is not to your liking and doesn't change you can always move on and find a new school to train at.

Really depends on your relationship with your sensei. If mine did something like that, I would just walk up to him - we have been friends for ten years. If I was at someone else's school and did not know the teacher I would probably ask one of his senior students if there was something wrong or if "this is how class is normally run". I think there is nothing wrong with saying you are unhappy with the way class is being run - but don't feel as if you being unhappy should dictate the way he runs it (in this case hopefully it will).

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

As described, this ISN'T 'how class is run', it's the teacher carrying his issues that day into the school. I expect people to tell me if i'm being a @#$^& outside of class, why should inside class be any different?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Oh my gosh, I could never imagine walking up to my instructor and saying "dude"... I laughed out loud when I read that. I would however, ask him if he was ok and that he seemed to be bothered by something and if there is anything I can do. I take it upon myself to never judge the way he handles situations, but i have never experienced him behaving in the manner you describe. Hopefully he will return to his old self soon.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

As someone mentioned, I think it really depends on the relationship you have with your sensei. If its not close and you approach him or her - you could always been told to mind your own business.

I used to have a close relationship with one of the former instructors at my old school and whenever they'd act like a jerk (on occasion) in class, I'd wait until after class and let them know about it. :D

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Talk to your sensei about it. It seems that he is trying to push people mentally in differant ways than just martial arts. Maybe these kids need to know the true harshness of the real world. My shidoshi does that to me all the time. When I was 8 he sent me crying home. I forgave him but everyday he would do it worse, and finally when he gave me my shodan one day he told me that the way he treated me then made me who I am today.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

If it seems out of character, then perhaps approaching him about it would be an idea. Have a plan, though, because he may get short with you, too. If you are ready to move onto another school, then don't be worried about letting him know how you feel.