• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shortsword and shield

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, the lack of popularity of it is one problem. I know that there are some Medieval re-creationists that have worked on the style, but they are pretty spread out, and the groups tend to be relegated to larger cities.

If you check out https://www.thearma.org, you will get pointed in the right direction.

Look for a local SCA group as well. I used to play with these guys and it was a ton of fun.

I know in some variations of Matayoshi and Yafu Kobudo they practice the timbei (The tanto and shield). It is very beautiful, but had to master, usually I nor my teacher teach it until your know four kata in Sai, Tuifa, Manji, and Eku, just to make sure that your capable of doing it nicely. The popularity of it died down when alot of the older teachers died.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Not sure if it's so much the popularity, as the ability to perform. At a certain point, age and shoulder injuries preclude the shoulder roll. :bawling:

Leaves fall.

Well with the timbei, the shield is extremely small almost like the top to be crock pot would be the exact size, so age shouldn't have must to do with performing timbei, maybe if your considering medieval styles.

Hmmm my shield is bit smaller than that, and I use tanto somtimes wakizashi.

But I am also a practicioner of Uechi Ryu, and my teacher is older and he cannot do alot of the 'jump backs' so he refers to what his teacher tells him.

Study Old man Karate and Old man Kobudo when you are old man.

So if it was that bad on someone's shoulder they could just remove that and improvise with another technique. That shouldn't be a reason to stop doing it.