• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tonfa, chucks, or batons

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out what to make my standard melee side-arm chucks one tonfa or 2 collapsible police batons since they are so small and light weight

tonfa is so great offensively and defensively and great for join manipulation truly an amazing melee weapon but its large so i could only carry one, not sure that 2 is even practical to be honest

i have been practicing with my chucks for a while they are fun and SO intimidating, and the trade off of defensive capability for insane speed and power

and with the batons the idea would be to study escrima, plenty of good joint manipulations, with offencive and defencive capability a very well rounded setup

personally im leaning towards the batons, all opinions and advise welcome, and thanks for your time guys

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flashlight? Backhand baton technique with the restraints, plus a light to flash peoples eyes with, and very easy to justify carrying. iirc, I have a police manual for how to use one in storage somewhere or other; you might be able to find one used someplace.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

not a big fan of those combat lights myself but you just got me thinking how great a weapon one of those little super bright led flashlights, i should invent a flashlight that is intended to be a weapon by sacrificing any amount of battery life for brightness, OMAN better yet go ahead and make it a head lamp so all you have to do is stare into your opponents eyes to render him virtually blind, and have a setting that will switch it on automatically when ever a gun shot is heard man that would be one kick "glutious maxims" weapon

Doing a quick check, it seems that people have moved from the heavy barrel lights to smaller lights using hand stick techniques; possibly a smaller tool than you prefer, but definately practical. I'd been thinking back to when the preferred tool was a big four or five D cell steel flashlght.. I think they went up to six or seven.

i should invent a flashlight that is intended to be a weapon by sacrificing any amount of battery life for brightness

I dunno about that. In the end, lighting up smeone's eyes is a debuff, not an attack; it doesn't actually do anything 'real' on it's own, it just degrades their ability to fight as effectively.

Mostly I think of things like that that can be carried without causing too much suspicion; any weapon that people notice and pay ttention to, likely asking you to remove as a result, is a weapon that you won't have available to use.

One of the other things I saw when skimming for flashlights was a shoulder length chain with padlocks on the ends used for locking, striking, and chaining bicycles and such things to racks.

Mind you you should never lock a bike with anything less than a U-lock - which I don't know if anyone has developed any real fighting techniques for using. A bit surprising given how heavy and solid the things are.

In any case, i'd think that any weapon to be carried habitually should be one with a legitemate and justifiable utility use. Hence, flashlight, chain lock, U-lock, cane, shoe, and so on.

That is interesting, but I would stick with the collapsable batons. Working them with Escrima is a good idea, and will translate seemlessly, I think.

The tactical lights are a good idea, too.

Do you plan on carrying these things on a regular basis?

Yes, of those options, the batons would be the best choice. I'd also remind you to check with you're state and local laws on weapons use. In some areas, carrying these concieled could be problematic. Certainly carrying them openly is a problem all in itself.

Bear in mind as well that there are still issues with they're deployment under street conditions. Accessig and presenting anything that's hidden is never as easy as you'd think and requires practice all on it's own. And that's before we talk about it being positionally inaccessable due to enviornment or consider a developing fight where it will actually detract from your cabability to defend yourself if you're trying to present it.

Also, two batons, even collapsable, are going to be cumbersome and bulky to carry. And the likleyhood of actually conceiling a pair is pretty slim. Remember, you don't just have to hide them, you have to be able to get at them too. Part of the reason I don't use an ankle holser as routine carry.

I'd throw out the suggestion of a knife. Either a small fixed blade or combat folder, preferably one of the auto-open models (check your local laws). They hide easy in plain sight (who dosen't keep one on a pocket) and no one will grief you for carrying one. Plus their size makes them easy to access from just about anywhere.

Just some thoughts.

On the light issue. For using a light as an impact weapon, there is still no better item than the longer shafted mag-type lights. Almost everything is rechargable battires now but 12 in models or so are not uncommon. There are longer ones as well.

The shift to smaller lights was largely a factor of using light aided shooting techniques. All of these are almost infinatly easier with a smaller light. With the advent of rails on handguns for tac lights, you're starting to see a shift back to bigger lights for general patrol usage. More light, impact weapon usage if needed, won't get lost in car, ect. They all play in. You'll never see, I don't think, the big light come back like it was. The newer crop of recruits are raised to like tech stuff small and portable. But they are more popular now than they have been in a while.

Personally, I like a light on my gun with a large light carried for general use. If push comes to shove, I can blip someone good with the bigger lights. No way can I actually use one of those little lights like a kobaton. Most people that carry them can't either (not all).

Some time ago Century offered collapsible metal tuifa, and they are nice I had them for a while, but I eventually gave them away as a gift since they are illegal to carry in my state anyways. They are good for any where training.

But the practicality of the double tuifa is to 'set' your opponent up and attack with the other. And if you have to metal 'police night sticks' in your hand then its very intimidating, to me if you came at me with nunchuks, I would just laugh and be like "its bruce lee" But thats just me, its hard to say what other people would say.

Now.

Jerry Poteet has a certification program running where he send you a baton that is collapsible and a couple of movies and your can become certified to teach it as well. Its very very useful.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku