• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids in adult classes?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe there are several issues concerning this area with the first one being safety. The kids can get hurt.

Adult classes are not run as childrens or tots classes are - at least not in my experience.

Also, adults classes exist so that adults can train at a level that 8 to 10 year olds can not. Likewise, kids classes exist so kids can train together.

I do not think this is a workable thing. I, personally have stopped attending classes that had children in them simply because I want to train with other adults.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I think it'll greatly depend on the individual. I started MA when I was 10 and always went to the adults classes. But then I was a taller than most of my peers and built heavier too. I never messed around because I wanted to be there and it was a privilege because I really should have been in the teens class. There are limitations with kids physically but you'll have to tailor that to the individual just like any other student. Some will be able to handle it more and be able to keep up so I don't think it should be much of a problem.

You could try it out provisionally to see how the kid holds up and then give the parent a yes or no.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My teacher permits the younger ones who are orange belts (8th gup; 10th gup is white belt) to participate in the adult classes. One of the adults brings his daughter with him (age nine) to the Friday class. She's usually paired up with an eleven-year-old boy, so there's been no problem.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think it is workable. However, to echo Tiger's concerns, it is important that the presense of younger practitioners doesn't effect the training of the adults.

I actually recomended and tested a child before. I recommended them (He was twelve at the time) to enter the adult class, and I even went on my own and tested him against the rights of the board of directors to a purple belt (He would have had to weight till he was 14, how ever I tested him at 13). He passed.

Some kids are more mature than others, those that are should be rewarded as so.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

If you can keep them separate it is better but there are times when exceptions can be made. Due to class sizes & time I had at one time invited all advanced juniors to the adult class-now I am able to have a class just for them so theyare again separate. It worked out fine because they were advanced students and knew what the expectations were.

In general, I do not move students up until they are at least 12 and are physically capable and emotionally ready as we teach additional curriculum to the adults and train much harder.

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

And with the younger kids, they cannot comprehend exactly what to do especially breaking down bunkai and oyo bunkai. Like the grab and hold techniques they cannot really grasp the full mechanics of it.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

If a parent wants to bring their child (about 8-10ish) with them to a martial arts class that is geared at adults, what issues are there?

Size and maturity.

Is this a workable thing?

I allow students that are 13 years old to be in the adult class, but, this is based on a child to child circumstances. For example, size and maturity still bears consideration. Everything has the appearance of it being a workable thing at its beginning, but, will that come to fruition once its considered more, that remains to be seen.

Some kids love to spar adults because it's an honor thing amoungst kids, especially when the child scores on the adult with a great technique that's not based on size and maturity; a pure technique.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!