• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difficult warmups and new students?

I am starting a new class, and I was reviewing my schedule. It suddenly occurred to me that the sort of warmup I was taught was fine for the students where I studied, but might maul the students here; also, that it would likely take one or two classes just to introduce all the movements in the warmup! It really is a very important series of movements to be practiced with, however. I really can't teach many techniques to people who don't have some concept of the positions used in the warmup.

How does anyone else deal with the problem?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If the movements are that important to your style, then it is important to spend time drilling, drilling, drilling them. That way, they can move onwards and upwards.

However, I do think it would be a good idea to find some other movements that can be worked on with them, too, in order to keep the pace of the class going. Maybe pair movement, or technique work with bags and such, to shake things up for them.

Let us know how it goes for you. I wish you well. :karate:

Mostly i'm worried about new people being baffled by the variety of rather alien movements they are introduced to before the body of the class even starts.. not sure how intimidating and problematic that would actually be, or if people pretty much just pick up that stuff at some base level by following along.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I incorporate the same warm up drills in all classes but change the pace of them a bit for new students. They eventually pick the tchniques up and then are able to speed up to match the class. So far so good......

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/