• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Issues with bo

Erin

At a tournament back in October I watched as a brown belt girl poked herself in the forehead with her sai. Her back was to the judges at this point in the kata, and when she turned around, blood was just POURING. I have never seen 3 black belts move so fast to end a routine. Thing was, the girl didn't want to stop, she just kept going.

That shows Character, unfortuneatly tho, I wonder if she still does the Sai?...Hopefully she does. When I put the sai into my foot, no one was around so I said alot of choice words...character or not...I probably would have said the same thing...something about the foot...when thats gets messed up your whole body seems to shut down a bit I think.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent' seen her since, but considering how well she took the injury then, I am sure she still does the sai. She was VERY good with them as well, regardless of whacking herself with them.

I have whacked myself in the back the head with my nunchuks a few times, that hurts. I have smacked my ankle with them, left a bruise for weeks. I have not hurt myself with the bo yet, but I did nearly put it through a mirror in the dojo at one time.

Yeah, Im sure she still does if she is that good with them I would not see why she would quite, once you get into the mode of mushin, its hard to say what can happen, its like being in a differant world, I broke a toothpick Bo that cost me $90 I smacked it back and I ended up breaking it against my shin, it hurt later.

My teacher once told me that you can be a kobudo man (or woman) for your whole life and you will still screw up on occassion.

Yup, I still drop my sai. Over twist the bo. dont release at the right moment with tonfa. Forget to time the twirl with the nunchuka. And dont twist the kama at the proper angle. :D

I've lost count...and brain cells from the number of times I've whacked myself in the head with the chucks and bo. lol. Keep with it, and it'll smooth out. Ultimately I'd love to learn Three piece staff, and spear so I know these bruises are only the beginning for me..lol Good luck, and keep us posted if you learn any tricks to keep from hitting yourself. I for one can always use some good advise on that.

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

If you take Matayoshi or Yamashita Kobudo you should be learning the sansetsukun right after the chuks

• 1 month later...

I can understand from your OP as to why you'd hate the Nunchakus and love the Bo as well as you discovering the opposite of said weapons. I believe that every practitoner of Kobudo/Weapons of any Martial Arts has a particular weapon of choice. I prefer the Bo over any other, yet, for my maturity to exceed my wants/desires, I must LOVE each and every weapon in order to "master" any said weapon. Otherwise, I'm not a complete Kobudoist, I'm just a Kobudo practitioner who excels in some, but, not the plethoria at my disposal. One must be able to excel in each and every weapon in their style, to excel at one or two and ignore the rest because of a personal preference is to be incomplete by its definition.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!