• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
Dont feel bad Erin I thought the same thing when I first started with it. Never thought you could whack yourself in the head with it but I did it.

I was always intimidated by the sai. I thought those where gonna be hard to learn but it was the oppisite with me.

I use to be always intimidated by the Kama, I would always thought that I would end up embedding them into my knee one a certain jump back in Okuta Gawa No Kama. But I got over it, I did how ever put sai into my foot though...hurt like a (explicitly deleted)...haha.

i've dropped a sai AND kama on my foot before... i wouldnt recommend either. as for whacking yourself in the head with a bo... i did that all the time now im getting recommendations for diamond competition with it :brow:

There is little honor in going down. There is no honor in going down without a fight. --- Victory dwells in the individual, not the style

• 1 month later...

The training floor at our dojo is mats, so our sensei used to require rubber tips on the three points of a sai. They're not really required anymore but if you drop one while on the mats you're supposed to put your foot under it to save the mats. A friend of mine actually dropped his sai during a test and couldn't get his foot under it fast enough...there was a small hole in the mats (you can barely tell where it is) and a VERY unhappy sensei.

As for the bo...I looked like a total idiot the first time I picked up a bo. It's a big six foot stick and I'm supposed to make it look powerful and not stupid? Haha, that's a funny one. But I stuck with it, even tried some fancy spinning and such that aren't in the kobudo kata we practice but it got me familiar with the weight of the weapon as well as the length. The more you practice with a weapon the easier it gets to use, I'm finding this with nunchaku as well. Although I did smack the knuckles on my left hand pretty good in class last night...fingers were numb for a while. :)

"We do not do karate. We are karate." -Hanshi Doug Perry