• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are punch bag mitts good for heavy bag?

GhostFighter

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you're a Thaiboxer, you'd be better off with the 14oz gloves, maybe even 16oz if you want more conditioning. Not sure what their regulation weight is, but I know when I was boxing we would typically train with 14-16oz gloves but fight with 10oz gloves.

Not real familiar with boxing but some of the boxers I've trained said they they wished they had what you call punchbag mitts. When we do heavy bag training its usually bareknuckles so they would always gripe about sore hands.

I prefer dedicated bag gloves of some sort. The padding is usually more closed cell and better to stand up over time.

If you're going to use gloves (and this can be great conditioning if your training for the ring specifically) then I'd recommend just dedicating a pair to bag work alone. I'd also buy a less than top end pair for it. Bag work will destroy gloves pretty quicly if you're regular and heavy with it. Not the thing you want to send your real nice Fairtex thru.

On that note, expect your dedicated pair to get torn up pretty often and replace as such. If I'm using regualr gloves, I tend to prefer 10 oz.ers.

When we do heavy bag training its usually bareknuckles so they would always gripe about sore hands.

Sure, but isn't that a consequence of some of the point of heavy bag? Hand conditioning? I'd rather have sore hands after training than a broken hand on the street.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

At the same time, I don't want a training injury that I could have prevented. Even something as simple as wrapping the hand will help support the knuckle and protect the surface skin from abrasion.

I'm not saying I've never pounded on a bag bareknuckled. In fact, it's probibly not a bad idea every now and then just for making people understand the reality of hitting something hard. Kind a feel so they aren't surprised. But long term, I think it's best to use some form of protection so you can keep training harder, longer.

Don't forget, we have to be able to function at 50+ as well. Continued trauma from the heavy bag will work on the joints bad enough as it is. That's a level of price I'm willing to pay. The added damage to joints long term without anything there is something I'll pass on. It's bad enough I can feel the weather change in my joints already, I don't need to make that worse.

well you gotta remember these where ex boxers we trained and to them it seemed a bit much on em. for someone like us its just natural cause of the conditioning. :D