• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Progression in your style.

quinteros1963

Kyu is "boy" and Dan is "man"

OK, that's my 2 cents

:)

I think this is more what they have come to represent.

"Dansei" is the Japanese for male (I guess you could extrapolate Dan from this), but i am not sure that "Kyu" means boy as "kun" is boy as far as I understand.

But I guess the Senpai / Kohai relationship is constant in your description.

WNM

You really have to look at the kanji and context. Japanese has a more limited sylablery than English and thus has lots of repeat usages of the same sounding word:

As you can see:

性 =dansei = man/masculine

...is totally different from...

= dan = black belt rank

Also, both kanji dan (段) and kyu (級) mean basically just "class," "grade," "rank" or "step." There is no other meaning to my knowledge (well, not relevant ones anyway).

Lastly, the kanji for "kun" (君) not only means "young boy," but is also used for "kimi" or a casual way of saying "you." I have no reason to believe there is any common origin (nor radicle similarity might I add) with kyu (級).

Thank you very much for this Shizentai - much appreciated.

Clearly my "Nihongo" is not up to same par as yours, but I kinda knew I wasn't that far off the mark.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I study Shukokai Karate and our belt progression is as follows:

White (10th kyu)

Red (9th Kyu)

Yellow (8th kyu)

Orange (7th kyu)

Green (6th kyu)

Blue (5th kyu)

Purple (4th kyu)

Brown (3rd kyu)

Brown with two black stripes (2nd kyu)

Brown with three black stripes (1st kyu)

Shodan Ho (probationary black belt, usually just a plain black belt)

Shodan (black belt with a red stripe)

This belt progression applies only for adults. The belt progression for juniors differs to this.

BOW TO LIFE

It's interesting to read about all these different type of belts and gi colors.

However, keep in mind prior to adopting the gi and obi (belt)/rank system from Judo in 1924, Karate uniforms were based on some form of traditional Japanese clothing with no belt/rank system (your rank was whatever the Sensei determined you to be based on your training).

Therefore, the Gi and Obi have only been around for less than 90 years in the modern Karate system. Many stories about the white belt turning black are just myths.

In Japan the traditional uniform can only be white. Over the years, the Japanese have added colors to the belt/rank system. Although, in JKA for many years, there were only 8-kyu ranks.

Early on, there were only three belt colors:

white (8th-4th kyu),

brown (3rd-1st kyu),

and black (for Shodan and up).

That is why so many Karate styles have 3 brown belt ranks prior to Shodan.

It was only within the last 30 years as Karate/martial arts developed in the west, additional kyu ranks were added with the respective colors.

For example, in the late 70's

Shotokan (Karate) in the states had the following belt-rank system:

white belt - 8th kyu

white belt - 7th kyu

yellow (or blue) belt - 6th kyu

green belt - 5thy kyu

purple belt - 4th kyu

brown - 3rd kyu

brown - 2nd kyu

brown - 1st kyu

black - shodan and up

(although from 6th-4th kyu it could vary in color from organization, or if they remained traditional it would just be white).

Now, our current school remains very traditional with the Shotokan of old, white gi only. The belt/rank is slightly expanded from the above:

white - 10th kyu

blue - 9th kyu

blue - 8th kyu

green - 7th kyu

green - 6th kyu

purple - 5th kyu

purple - 4th kyu

brown - 3rd kyu

brown - 2nd kyu

brown - 1st kyu

black - shodan and up

Edited by Chuck

Gi colors?

Well...I've several Gi's of different colors/style. For example...

White Gi

Blue Gi

Black Gi

White Gi top and Black Gi pants and/or vice versa

*Black/Red Demo Gi w/o sleeves

Except with the last entry above *, I could be in any of the color Gi and/or combinations. Now, if it's a formal gathering, I'll be in a White Gi with/without Hakama.

As far as class goes....any of the top 4 work for me. My favorite...Blue. I had my first Blue Gi in 1975. I once had a stars n' stripe Gi but it was way to loud for me.

In Shindokan, there was a time when all kyu students had to wear White. Only black belts could wear a solid black and/or the combination of white/black or black/white.

I was the very first one to wear a blue gi in class...and my Soke had a fit. But, my Dai-Soke allowed me and others to wear the blue gi to teach class, but, not during formal gatherings. I pushed the envelope, even with Gi's, but, even with that, one has to leave the envelope alone.

Soke and Dai-Soke only wore White! No adventure taking with these two.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

white

yellow

orange

green

blue

brown

black

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.