• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tonfa or Tuifa

Traymond

Here's the deal; in Okinawa, you call it by the Okinawan name, and in Japan, you'd call it by the Japanese name. That's what I am getting at. To me, its just a stick with a handle on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if your in the USA...would you call it a police night stick...I dont think so.

Now When you look at a Tonfa (it comes from Japan) it is rounded.

When you look at a tuifa (It comes from okinawan) It is square and not tapered.

That is the difference Mr Bushido.

We should be really calling it Mill grinder handle if you want to get technical but that would sound...rough, dont you agree?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Hey, it is what it is. A mill-grinder handle is what it is. Whether it is squared or tapered is of little significance, as well, I would think. Although a squared one might leave cooler notches in the other person's head.

Regardless of proper terms, most people would probibly on;y be aware of the "tonfa" designation. Including ma-ists. It's just easier to use it in common use.

It's the same as people thinking that I "do karate" or I "do mma". Neither is completely true. But it's easier to just accept the common useage and move on.

Hey, it is what it is. A mill-grinder handle is what it is. Whether it is squared or tapered is of little significance, as well, I would think. Although a squared one might leave cooler notches in the other person's head.

Historically...your are right about the square one, the round ones came around and originated in a Japanese police academy.

Saying that it has little significance is like looking at a claymore and a katana and saying...its just a "Sword"...that is unacceptable don't you agree? because they have their own respective names.

The claymore and the katana would likely be two different classifications of sword. But in the end, they serve the same purpose. What you describe of the tonfa and tuifa sounds to me like two names for the exact same thing.

• 1 month later...
So their are two terms for The wooden rice grinder handle we use today its Tonfa or Tuifa.

Tonfa is what the Japanese call it, and they believe that its the correct term because they think what ever they call something thats martial arts related is correct....well its NOT!.

Then we have the tuifa, the okinawan and chinese term for it, the correct term for it because that is where it originated.

What do you think is the right term for it? The true or the New?

TUIFA or TONFA? Which term is correct? Hhhmmmm, doesn't that depend on what your sensei/instructor has taught you? OR...doesn't that depend on what your Hombu/Headquarters has taught you? OR...doesn't that depend on your styles syllabus? Are you a historian? OR...Are you a traditionalist?

My point, one can't see the forest because of the trees mentality. This must be exorcised from every part of every Martial Arts/Arists, imho. In that, I'm an Okinawan stylist who's encroached in the art of Kobudo. Therefore, I use BOTH! Tuifa or Tonfa means nothing to me beyond teaching EVERY aspect of each weapon from its history to its effectiveness. Knowledge is paramount over Twomato versus Tomatoe, how one says it is fine for a conversation, but, beyond that, who gives a bent pins needle if my useage of BOTH is correct/incorrect. They're BOTH the same weapon when one strips away the labels.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

True...but which one do you prefer is another way of me asking it.

If you go and up shout

Hamahiga no Tuifa...are you going to please the jap judges or the okinawan judges? Thats a big difference if your competing, alot of judges are picky over that..I know I am. If I hear tonfa they wont get as high a grade. I prefer Tunqua or Tuifa. Because it shows the heritage that the chinese left in the ryu kyu islands.

:::Singing:::(Hold your ears!)

Forest for the trees...forest for the trees...forest for the trees...

Come on...it's a easy song, sing it with me...forest for the trees...la la la la la la... :P

Seriously, in a strict traditional tournament, I'll call it by its proper name whether it's a Tonfa (Japanese) or Tuifa (Okinawa). To offend tradition as well as judges isn't a smart move. Do it and you might see a 5.0, if ones lucky, instead of a 9.0 because of the forest for the trees.

I teach my students the complete history of each Kobudo weapon within our syllabus. Complete means everything! Becoming very familiar with a weapon allows intimacy with said weapon; complete in its totality.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!