• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open vs. Closed Hand Blocking

I tend to have them loose, because the only time you want to tighten your fist is right before punching. Otherwise it slows you down. However, my blocking is pretty much that of a boxer without gloves (forearms and elbows if I can), so I couldn't offer an opinion on parrying (other than it is usually ineffective in real confrontations).

I view a defense that doesn't stop a technique dead in its tracks as more of a parry than a hard block. That's just me, though.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well as my school sees it, if your hand is open, your fingers will eventually be caught on something and your fingers would break... i mean it's already happened before but not on me :)

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

In kumite I've noticed I tend to use an open hand moreso than anything, just because in my kumite stance my hands are already open. I think it doesn't make too much of a difference whether open or closed so long as you still get that snapping forearm action into it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me in sparring it depends on what I want to do next (trying to think 3 moves ahead) I will open hand/perry against someone who likes to throw big swinging punches from either side so I can convert into a grapple/takedown or control point. I have always hard blocked kicks with a closed fist or try to dodge/deflect all together. I’m still learning a technique where one can side step into a kick with open hands for a catch/grapple. I need to work on my speed for that though. lol :D

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"