• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrestling and the other grappling styles

I have grappled with alot of people and you can tell which ones have wrestled and those who haven't. Wrestlers and former wrestlers have heavier hips.

By "heavier hips," do you mean that they can keep their center lower?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"heavy hips" is partly keeping your center low. Part of it is that once you have a position, you know how to keep you weight on the person so that they have trouble moving adjusting. It's about body positioning mostly.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I wrestled in high school and then moved to Judo in college, and BJJ in the 90's. The positioning from wrestling I still use, as well as various takedowns. At first I would stick my neck out and also lower my head, but I quickly learned not to do it.

I know that it is almost natural for me to want to stay on top of the opponent and not give up the position. The sprawl is second nature, and there is the mentality of just hold on ten more seconds and you can win. I always know when I am going up against another wrestler, just by the way we tie up.

BJJ taught me much more on the ground for submissions, and Judo how to leverage throws.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com