• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrestling and the other grappling styles

Every so often, I like to revisit the Wrestling aspect of the grappling styles.

How many here have had Wrestling experience, like in high school, and now do a different grappling style? Or, how many still Wrestle? How has Wrestling helped in learning a different grappling style? How has it hindered? What are some of the best things you have taken away from your Wrestling training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I actaully did this backward and missed out on the high school wrestling. I was into shootfighting and then jj prior to studying wresling. I quickly started seeing how well wrestlers fared in the mma events I was part of early on and started working with wresters to pick up some of that game.

Initally, I only worked on defending the shots and takedowns so I could apply my standing skills or pull to guard. Later, I started working the offensive side a tad more.

Recently, I've done a big up swing in the pure wrestling I'm doing.

I'd say a big thing to take away is just body feel and mechanics. This can make every aspect of the game easier and more natural. To go to simple movements, the sprawl and the high single might be the easiest and best stuff to incorporate. Followed by some of the arm drags and greco throws. But in the big picture, it's body mechanics and feel.

I wasn't a wrestler. My high school didn't have a team:( However, we have had many wrestlers come into the BJJ academy. Two are world class. These are my observations :

1. They initially give up their back alot.

2. They have a great base and are usually very difficult to sweep with conventional methods. They avoid it to the point that they give up the back...as I already mentioned. Usually you need to use xguard or half guard.

3. Their takedowns, as you would expect, are strong and they often end up in the top position.

4. Because they don't like being on their back, they don't work on their guard much initially. This leaves them exceptionally vulnerable to being passed once they get swept.

5. They don't like to tap...ever! Sometimes they roll too hard/fast and get themselves in bad position.

5. Once they develop a good guard and start slowing down...they are really tough! Good base...good takedowns and good jitsu= one tough grappler.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I've been involved with wrestling for over 20 years, either as a wrestler or a coach. I've had a desire to learn bjj for several years, but there are no nearby schools in my area. I did attend a karate dojo off and on for 2 years that included some grappling, and I had the opportunity to participate in a bjj training session last year.

I agree with the previous observations. I was not initially comfortable on my back and had a strong desire to stand up as quickly as I could, thus giving up my back. I thought that every technique had to be performed in an eplosive manner, and I rushed through moves. I can relate to PS1's comment about wrestlers not tapping. I used to tolerate a lot of pain before I tapped and I would get very disgusted with myself if I did tap.

On the upside, I agree that wrestlers have an advantage when it comes to being in the right body positions at all times and having a feel for what your opponent is doing and how to react. Most wrestlers are good at takedowns and take down defense (my strongest areas). Also, active wrestlers are generally well conditioned.

You guys mention giving up the back a lot. I think that is the one area that the sport aspect of Wrestling really hurts. I call it the "pin mentality." I think that once they can get it in their heads that it is ok to defend from the back, then I think that is when they can really open up and take off. That is just an observation that I have made, though, and it may not be that way at all. Thoughts?

Giving up the back is problematic early on for wrestlers. As is presenting the neck during takedown attempts (and drop their heads for upper cuts). Both are common due to the rule structure in the sport.

It's something that one has to take into consideration when either entering other grappling arts (or any fighting arts) from wrestling. You also need to consider them when training wrestlers in further combat systems.

Still, once you work out these glitches wrestling makes a great base sport from which to enter other grappling ma's or as an additive for indiviudals already training in them.

I wrestled in high school and it helped me understand grappling arts easier. I still give my back up but I can work from there. My take downs are better on average than those who haven't wrestled and take down defence is better too. One major diffrence that isn't taught iin Jujitsu or bjj is the art of the scramble. The scramble and sprawl are the two most important things I think I took from wrestling. The never give up mentality is also great tool.

Yes, those are both really great traits that you bring from wrestling to other grappling arts. Great background.

I think that even if you've never done it, it's worth learing a bit about and training with some pure wrestlers. Even if it's after your introduction into some form of jj.

Wrestled when they started the team. Wish two things. 1: The team had been around and I'd come up through a middle school feeder team.

2: I'd have known what the heck I was doing and had trained harder in the off season.

The biggest things I've taken away? Sensitivity in the clinch/feel for someone trying to take my hips. And the scramble. While learning, yeah, getting everyone to be willing to slow down like PS1 said, is improtant. But, someone who has wrestled seems to be able to flip the switch and explode in ways a lot of other grapplers are not used to. It's littleraly drilled into you to work from a bad position with the midset that you have only seconds left.

The tolerance to pain and the never say die attitude that says you can last ten more seconds and you can win, I don't know if it's beaten into you or that those who don't have it won't stick to a team very long. Maybe that is something else that wrestling work does, bringing the attitude out.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine