• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finger sprains

Does this happen to anyone else whensparring? It happens to me occasionally and it hurts the middle joint which takes quite some time to heal. Do you believe it mostly happens when you block with your fingers apart or when you're keeping distance with your front hand and you don't notice that your fingers aren't adjacent? I haven't seen this happen to anyone else so I would love to know what's causing this for me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Does this happen to anyone else whensparring? It happens to me occasionally and it hurts the middle joint which takes quite some time to heal. Do you believe it mostly happens when you block with your fingers apart or when you're keeping distance with your front hand and you don't notice that your fingers aren't adjacent? I haven't seen this happen to anyone else so I would love to know what's causing this for me.

Well 123321, its all part of the learning curve I guess. You stub your fingers on a kick, you learn pretty quick how to avoid it the next time.

Hurting yourself during training/sparing is often a good way to allow yourself to focus on where you are perhaps going wrong?

That's the beauty of Shiai really.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

That's one way to deal with it.

I do tons of open hand parrying movements to this day. Ocassionally, I too get the joint sprained. It happens and is the cost of doing business, so to speak. If you're doing an art that does alot of grapping as entry to grappling range, it will occur.

Anther thing that does it is getting them caught in fabric while grabbing. Learn to carry on when possible.

For training, if your invovled with those arts, cosider taping for extra support if you've recently injured one of them. This will help them heal up quicker and be less prone to reinjury.

Anther thing that does it is getting them caught in fabric while grabbing. Learn to carry on when possible.

For training, if your invovled with those arts, cosider taping for extra support if you've recently injured one of them. This will help them heal up quicker and be less prone to reinjury.

From experience this has happen to me a few times in grappling and sparring (doing open hand techniques) you learn to deal and the magic of taping your fingers or using wraps. I sprang my big toe a couple months ago to this day I can not tell you how I did it and every once in while it will give me trouble I just tape it and hit the floor.

It would be easy to tell you to just keep your hands closed, but doing so can reduce some of the tools that are available to you. If you do choose to open your hands when sparring, make sure that they aren't hanging too loose; keep a bit of tightness in them, so that they are more resistant to taking that damage.

Also, train at some slower paces from time to time, so that you can look at how the attacks approach, and how to adjust to receive it well.

Here's my dumb question of the day...

What hurts worse, A finger sprain thru Kumite OR A finger sprain thru Basketball? For me...a Basketball finger sprain is by far the worse of the two, imho.

Finger sprains are as bothersome and irritating as an ear ache and/or a tootache. There's little to bring comfort, yet, any is better than none at all.

Can finger sprains be avoided in Kumite all the time? Yes/No! Yes, if one learns how to properly block; still no guarantee. No, if one is lackadasical in ones blocking efforts; accidents are then increased. To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a finger block, which is why it is said that there's no such thing as a face block. Either learn to properly block or just don't be there.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Even under ideal circumstances, with highly trained individuals using proper movmements, you're going to have injuries of any kind, including the finger sprain.

It can't be helped due to the dynamic nature of training hard. We do our best to minimize thses risks, but they are a cost of doing business.

As to which hurts more, I couldn't even offer an opinion. I'm so bad at ball-centric sports it's not even funny. :)

• 1 month later...

I sprained 2 fingers on my left hand right before my tournament 2 weeks ago. The first joint of my pointer finger got bent backwards by the assistant instructor and my thumb got jammed by a visiting sensei friend of the dojo. I did block both of their kicks, but it was at a price. My thumb still hasn't fully healed yet. For awhile I couldn't do much of anything with my left hand.