• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Foot grabbed - response?

For whatever reason, and we will not discuss it here because it doesn't matter, you have done something resembling a kick, and it was grabbed and held either beside or in front of the torso.

Any suggestions how to turn this to your advantage? So far I have considered scissoring their ankle with the other foot and twisting to throw them, or grabbing them and dropping to kick them over the top; can anyone else think of any others?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sit down and play guard. Be aware that there are ankle locks and remain ready to defend them. It's better to sit than to be thrown. That is a decent jiujitsu response.

You could also slide your leg through their arm by clinching and then attempt a sprawl. However, I feel, you're more likely to get thrown this way.

The scissor isn't a bad option either. I usually use this technique to the back of the knees and the front of the hips. This makes it harder for the opponent to step out of the technique.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If you can turn the foot toes up, jump towards the opponent, bending the knee then drive the foot down to the ground breaking the grip. Usually a hand strike is added to take the opponent's mind off the foot hold.

If your foot is to the side and can't be turned upward, as mentioned above, jump in and scissor the opponent's legs out from under him (Judo's Kani Waza).

If your foot is pointed downwards, deliver a spin heel kick to the opponent's head with the free leg, forcing a defensive move to release the foot.

These are the standard defenses I use against a foot grab by the opponent's hands.

A grab that is tucked under the opponent's arm is more difficult to defend as the grip is more solid and mobility is less. If the above won't work, I usually grab the opponent with my lead hand and then swing my hips in, using the free foot to attack the opponent's knees / ankles and/or take the opponent to the ground, negating the hold on the way down.

Sometimes a Hollywood move can work. For example, if the opponent is in a karate style stance (shiko or kiba dachi). One can literally step up on the lead thigh with the free leg and either attack or bowl the opponent over, freeing the foot as part of the action.

My first pass thoughts. :D

If your foot is pointed downwards, deliver a spin heel kick to the opponent's head with the free leg, forcing a defensive move to release the foot.

I have actually done this to my brother once. It was pretty cool. :brow: But, we were just sparring in the yard, not really fighting....although, we were pretty mad at each other at the time.

I do agree with the tactics mentioned above. I would attempt to rechamber my leg forcefully, pulling the person close, and then latching on, to avoid the throw, as mentioned.

If you can turn the foot toes up, jump towards the opponent, bending the knee then drive the foot down to the ground breaking the grip. Usually a hand strike is added to take the opponent's mind off the foot hold.

A friend of mine did this to me in the past, hopping forward and executing a punch, but we were point-sparring (no judges, just doing it on our own). We practiced this a bit afterwards. When a white belt grabbed a couple of my non-contact kicks last week, I found I could hop forward just enough that he let go.

The whole thing is, of course, to act quickly enough, or else your opponent will capitalize on the grab.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I try to collar tie with one hand to help stabilize my self. Then, start pulling towards him while trying to get my foot back to the ground. by pulling in, you get to bend the knee and start the foot down, it can then also be used to check across his legs to help support you while you work it back down.

To help all this along, hit him with whatever is availiable with the other hand whenever possible.

Pulling to guard isn't awful, but I'd wait till there's no other option unless you're specifically a ground guy. I'd always rather take top game even though I have a pretty decent guard. I still try to get tight before initiating this. That way, when I pull down, I'm more likley to find guard and prevent ankle and kneebar counters this way.

I try to collar tie with one hand to help stabilize my self. Then, start pulling towards him while trying to get my foot back to the ground. by pulling in, you get to bend the knee and start the foot down, it can then also be used to check across his legs to help support you while you work it back down.

To help all this along, hit him with whatever is availiable with the other hand whenever possible.

I don't even believe this. It's so simple, but until you pointed it out, Tallgeese, I kept with what was in my background from two decades ago. If there's an actual altercation, or if it's contact sparring, why not grab the other guy's clothing (whether uniform or street clothes) to stabilize, and still have the option to strike as you press down on that foot?

I think what it is is that my background has been all striking arts, and though my teacher has incorporated some introductory grappling, it's not until I started self-defense JuJitsu that "hands on" comes more naturally.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Pulling to guard isn't awful, but I'd wait till there's no other option unless you're specifically a ground guy. I'd always rather take top game even though I have a pretty decent guard. I still try to get tight before initiating this. That way, when I pull down, I'm more likley to find guard and prevent ankle and kneebar counters this way.

I agree with your thinking here. I even mentioned it above. I don't use it more because I train with alot of wrestlers (two of whom are/ were world class). Since I have no wrestling background I end up putting myself in a position where they can now throw me hard. So I sit to guard. I'm one of the higher ranks in my BJJ school and I can almost always sub or sweep the guy.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

clinch, fight to bring your foot back to the mat, and if they take you down pull guard and reverse or submit

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."