• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kama Vs. Sai

Traymond

So these are my two favorite weapons. I can win with both against someone using the other. But I want to know your opinions on the matter.

Who do you think would win and why?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it goes primaily to the skill of the user.

You can also look at the number of advantages each has to take a fair bet; does one have a greater effective distance, more mobility, greater force mulitplication, ect.

Both these weapons probibly come out pretty equal in terms of strenghts. In that case, victory will ususally go to the more skilled individual.

Given the prevelance of these weapons, it's probibly moot.

But do you have a preference of what weapons would have a greater chance of winning against the other?

I think it goes primaily to the skill of the user.

You can also look at the number of advantages each has to take a fair bet; does one have a greater effective distance, more mobility, greater force mulitplication, ect.

Both these weapons probibly come out pretty equal in terms of strenghts. In that case, victory will ususally go to the more skilled individual.

Given the prevelance of these weapons, it's probibly moot.

Agreed. The kama is a slashing/poking weapon whereas the sai is more of a poking/striking weapon.

As tallgeese said, victory would no doubt go the the more skilled person...or the luckiest.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Traymond, no I don't. Seeing as I couldn't do more with either than "stick the pointy end into them". Its a theorectical assesment of them based on their advantages and disadvantages. I don't actually train with either.

All things being equal, I'll always bet on .45, but that's outside the scope :) .

Hmm I agree with everyone here, and yes any firearm would win...unless your in Hollywood and you have tremendous aim and can through your sai into the barrel of the firearm...NOT!

the only disadvantage of the kama is that once your block the highest part of the kama, they cannot cut you, because alot of the 'slashing' of the kama is actually a tearing motion, so most of the area that cuts is the tip. The sai, is primarily poking and striking, but it is also for blocking. And they are capable of breaking wrists with one lax strike.

it does have to do with skill, but to say that both were extremely proficient and only trained with their weapon, and no other, who would be the winner? I cannot say because I use both and I am proficient, I have only 'lost' a few battles with either.

On a side note, I think something that should be taken into consideration is that these tools became weapons through necessity. Therefore, they don't represent the ideal when it comes to weaponry. If you would ever have the chance, using a utensil that is designed to be a weapon, like a sword, or knife, or firearm, is going to give you the most bang for your buck.

On a side note, I think something that should be taken into consideration is that these tools became weapons through necessity. Therefore, they don't represent the ideal when it comes to weaponry. If you would ever have the chance, using a utensil that is designed to be a weapon, like a sword, or knife, or firearm, is going to give you the most bang for your buck.

Exactly...but thats where Modernization occurs.

through modernization things become more 'better'...such as the Kama, is held together tighter and through the use of 'newer' sharpening tools, these weapons can become the ideal weapon Although a Sword's use was only to kill..a kobudo weapon was a farmers weapon, so wouldn't you agree something that became a necessity could be deadlier that something only fitted for one thing?

I mean witha samurai you can see he is samurai by his daisho or maybe just his katana, but with a master of kobudo, your not sure if his stick is a bo or just something to help him along the way. maybe he hides Sai in his keikogi, what is concealed is far more deadlier that what is certain.

These weapons may have an advantage with concealment, but I think that is where the advantage ends. I would rather use a tool that was designed as a weapon, as opposed to something that was originally a farm tool. The modernization of the kama doesn't make it more effective than a sword as a weapon of war.

When it comes down to it, if a daimyo had to decide whether to arm his soldiers with a spear, or with kamas and said, they would have chosen the spear, without much thought. It was designed as a weapon, and is a very good weapon.