• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bas Rutten Street Defense

I am totally loving this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

A friend of mine sent it to me. Ordinarily this sort of thing wouldn't interest me, but watching it I found Mr Rutten extremely entertaining.

He reminded me of an old training colleague of mine a few years ago.

It brought a smile to my face.

What do you guys think.

TG I bet this is right up your back alley as it were.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I added it to Favorites, Michi. I noticed how, when he lifted the chair, in order to "stab" with it, as he calls it, Bass had the legs in a diamond shape. I also liked that when the one-hand choke/throat grab occurred, he did a move I'm familiar with, but I know it as a wrist break; he added in an elbow break that's nothing fancy to execute.

The only place I have a problem with is at 3:17. Someone's grabbed his shoulder from behind, and the next thing you see is Bass turned around and pulverizing the guy. There seems to be a spot missing/cut where he executed that turnaround.

It's an interesting video, that's for sure.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yea, that thing is hilarious. I have the full version somewhere... its a little less humorous and more in depth. It basically is really good for ideas where you say "oh yea, duh."

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu

You are correct, Michi, I did like this quite a bit. I also happend to agree with alot of stuff he was doing.

The dude is a riot and very entertaining. He used to to commentary for one of the fight leagues and it was fantastic.

His "Big Book of Combat" is on my list of things to pick up (two volums I believe).

Nice find, thanks for posting.

Although I am not a fan of mr Rutten...He does point out quite a bit of good stuff and im glad I have seen this. thanks Wa no Michi

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Really good stuff. Commentry is excellent.

Not sure on some of the techniques though although obviously this vid doesn't show them in full.. Like at 2.44 I'm not sure many people would be able to do that and get the attacker off the ground, especially if they guy's got you in a choke. Or like at 4.23..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I cannot see myself slamming someones face into a table...or picking up a chair to defend myself...

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

It can be a really good tactic to use enviornmental factors to help you in a jam. Forcing people into walls, for example, will limit their mobility and give you a good controlled chance to work the in-fight if that's your range.

As for the table, if the situation calls for an escalation or force multiplier it mightbe a real good option. The chair or barstool is excellent for building distance and a barrier between yourself and a knife.

Might not be bad options. Now, if I could just remember to get that "looky here" line.

I cannot see myself slamming someones face into a table...or picking up a chair to defend myself...
It can be a really good tactic to use enviornmental factors to help you in a jam. Forcing people into walls, for example, will limit their mobility and give you a good controlled chance to work the in-fight if that's your range.

As for the table, if the situation calls for an escalation or force multiplier it mightbe a real good option. The chair or barstool is excellent for building distance and a barrier between yourself and a knife.

I'm with tallgeese here. Especially when size and weight factors become a disparity. Knowing and using your environment can give you the advantage that you need to be able to escape an attacker, and his buddies.

I found Mr. Rutten very entertaining to listen to, as well. I think he would be a fun guy to get into the gym with. He seems very knowledgable.