• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Dan Level is appropriate for instructing?

granitemiller

I have yet to find and expert Karate Instructor...even my own teachers are not experts, they are constantly referring to their teachers and calling them and inviting them to come and show us the 'real' techniques of the style.

I was using the word "expert" as an adjective for which the OED definition is "having knowledge or skill...".

If you are teaching beginners you need the knowledge or skill to explain the techniques that your school prescribes to for their grade.

If you are teaching second dans the nuances of Neiseshi kata, you need to have the knowledge and skill to first understand said nuances, and then to transmit them.

Not so much an expert in karate as a whole, but at least expert in what you are teaching. There is a difference.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to find and expert Karate Instructor...even my own teachers are not experts, they are constantly referring to their teachers and calling them and inviting them to come and show us the 'real' techniques of the style.

I was using the word "expert" as an adjective for which the OED definition is "having knowledge or skill...".

If you are teaching beginners you need the knowledge or skill to explain the techniques that your school prescribes to for their grade.

If you are teaching second dans the nuances of Neiseshi kata, you need to have the knowledge and skill to first understand said nuances, and then to transmit them.

Not so much an expert in karate as a whole, but at least expert in what you are teaching. There is a difference.

That is what I was also referring to. Over time you may forget certain specifications of certain Kata, and then you would need to call on someone who else knows it. I have seen my sensei ask 1st dans certain specifications on kata, that he has forgot.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

That is what I was also referring to. Over time you may forget certain specifications of certain Kata, and then you would need to call on someone who else knows it. I have seen my sensei ask 1st dans certain specifications on kata, that he has forgot.

Hmm,

I would be reluctant to train with an instructor who forgets certain kata.

Thats not expert at all.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

They dont forget the Kata itself, they forget the differance between Oyo bunkai and just bunkai, and also it shows that even the head instructor must have humility.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

They dont forget the Kata itself, they forget the differance between Oyo bunkai and just bunkai, and also it shows that even the head instructor must have humility.

An instructor must have knowledge... thats what you are paying him for.

Ohyo (Oyo) =Application,

Bunkai = dissection/dismantling. It is a process that leads to Ohyo.

Two different things.

Again your instructor should have the technical knowledge to understand this, otherwise its the blind leading the blind isn't it?

It would seem to me that you're saying that an instructor shouldn't have to ask for help at all....I have seen instructors as high as 5th say "hey someone remind me how we did ______". Maybe they just had a brain fart, maybe it was that they were taught something different. I'd rather have someone say "crud I forgot but let me find the answer" than teach something wrong. That shows humility, and the fact that they are indeed human. Teachers in any subject area can make mistakes or forget things, right?

It would seem to me that you're saying that an instructor shouldn't have to ask for help at all....I have seen instructors as high as 5th say "hey someone remind me how we did ______". Maybe they just had a brain fart, maybe it was that they were taught something different. I'd rather have someone say "crud I forgot but let me find the answer" than teach something wrong. That shows humility, and the fact that they are indeed human. Teachers in any subject area can make mistakes or forget things, right?

With respect I am not sure.

Occasionally everyone has the odd "absence" where you just cant remember what you were going to do next, but If you are a teacher of a skill/art call it what you will, I think having to ask for prompts is very poor imo.

I think that there is a forum member here (killer??) that is part of the JKA Shotokan assoc.

He/she will vouch for the fact that there are no grey areas with properly trained JKA instructors due to the unique and very vigorous training process their instructors go through (3 years I believe).

In fact in Japan, the only way you can achieve the qualifications to become a "professional" karate instructor is though the JKA.

So... Humility aside, there should be no grey areas when it comes to being an instructor.

If there is, you are not being an instructor, you are being a student, and thats my point.