• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Written Tests???

At our Dojo we have written tests, as well as physical exams, for every rank advancement. Novice ranks are multiple choice type tests and intermediate through advanced ranks are book reports and essays. I’m just curious of how many other schools have written portions of ranks tests?

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before one can test, they have to complete a written test and turn it in to the head instructor. Manual exams are actually part of the manual. They can be torn out and completed as an open book test for kyu rank. Ranking to Shodan and above is all essay.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

At our Dojo we have written tests, as well as physical exams, for every rank advancement. Novice ranks are multiple choice type tests and intermediate through advanced ranks are book reports and essays. I’m just curious of how many other schools have written portions of ranks tests?

We have a written exam for Dan gradings only.

Seija, Is your Wado Group part of the Renmei?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Old dojo started using writen tests for history and terminology after I earned my 1st dan. There is an easy requirement, or used to be, at each dan grade for the shorin ryu oganization my instructor was part of.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

We have written and oral tests for each rank. They include goals, history, self defense (the non physical part), tenants of taekwondo, etc.

The written portion is in an essay, the oral is a question and answer format.

My instructor considers the written portion to be very important because she gets to read your ideas, opinions, and understanding of various martial arts stuff. Most of which you wouldn't talk to her about or think about otherwise.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

We multiple/matching for terminology

for every test we ask them what certain parts of the uniform mean and what martial arts means to them

and for shodan we make them memorize the creed and then write it down word for word.

I think it helps them retain information on the history of the arts.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

We have oral tests for colour belts which can be questions on anything up to their grade, including bits and pieces of history they ought to be aware of, technique names etc. Written tests for 1st dan and above and they have to submit a small thesis on some aspect of TKD and/or MA.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius