• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cultivating physical toughness

Toptomcat

It may help to wean them into it. Start off with more protection, and as you go along, remove some of the protective equipment. Gradually, they should get used to it.

Another important thing to keep in mind is to not just throw them to the wolves, i.e., sending the fresh meat in to spar just by telling them the rules. Work some skill drills with them first, that get them used to some strategic ideas for blocking, moving, and countering against certain techniques. You can do these with contact, too. This way, they gain some confidence, and don't have to worry about covering all the time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd agree on the general physical conditioning aspect as well. Building the general fitness of the body will make one hardier. That's a good call.

Also, ps1 has a point. Some people aren't cut out for this kind of thing. I do think that a warrior mindset can be conditioned and developed, but to some it will not be worth the effort. To others, it will be a longer journey than some of their peers.

Experience seems to be the best teacher IMO in this aspect of martial arts.

Point in case: when I first started MA, I would come home with bruises on my legs and abrasions on my feet. Thanks to my naturally high pain tolerance, I didn't take much notice until after class, usally the next day.

Fast forward untill more recently

I started at a Isshin Ryu school that I am sorta helping with. Being the student with the most experience, I not only get to help with warmups and exercises, but I also get to be the human heavy bag. First night of sparring 'twas me against all of the class in point sparring. 14 people later and I have no bruises, bumps, cuts, or any other injuries. I left several people with bruises on their legs from my shin blocks. (not intentionally of course, just executing technique)

The point being, The only way to physical endurance is repetition, regardless of method. I've noticed this basic principle among various styles, Goju, Kyokushin, traditonal Shorin ryu, Muay Thai, etc.

"Be Water my friend."

"The spirit of defeating a man is the same for ten million men." Miyamoto Mushahi

Gradual progression has always worked best for me when trying to introduce newer students to contact. There are a lot of instinctual reactions to overcome in order to remain calm when getting struck.

To enhance actual physical toughness, the Okinawans had many drills they called Hojo Undo. These were (by today's standards) archaic tools that helped strengthen the body. Examples are makiwara (a padded hitting board), chi ishi (weighted stick for wrist strengthening) and nigiri game (gripping jars).

Investigate that a bit more online and you'll find videos/articles about it.

I have seen these tools that you mention, but other than the makiwara conditioning that hands, I think they focus a bit more on developing some strength as opposed to the physical toughness.

I have seen exercise that some Karate styles have done where the student stands in front of the sensei, who then slaps the student on various body parts to toughen them a bit.

You're right, some drills with those tools were designed for power and some for toughness. Morio Higaonna Sensei does a drill with the kongo ken where he spins it around and let's it strike him (for toughening purposes). There is also the maki stick for arm and torso toughening.

The exercise you are thinking of is done during Sanchin kata, predominantly in the Goju Ryu. This is a classic drill to improve rooting, focus, and toughness. Most of the time the strikes aren't at full force; just enough to test the student's tension and proper breathing.