• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neko Ashi Dachi and Ko Kutso Dachi

Traymond

NO matter what styles I am in, these two stances always look differant no matter what the style is. From Goju to Shotokan to Uechi Ryu. They are all differant. I dont understand why these two are always differant? Can someone shed some light for me please

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neko ashi dachi is "cat" stance. Should be knees slightly bent, with little to no weight on front leg with heel of front foot off of the floor. At least that's how it looks in my style.

Kokutsidachi...I have trouble with that one. Isn' it a little more of a relaxed, shallow stance then zenkusidachi? The way it was explained to me is that this is more of a "fight ready" stance.

NO matter what styles I am in, these two stances always look differant no matter what the style is. From Goju to Shotokan to Uechi Ryu. They are all differant. I dont understand why these two are always differant? Can someone shed some light for me please

Hi Traymond.

The two expressions virtually mean the same thing and are often used to describe the same thing depending on where you train.

Neko=Cat in Japanese and is generally used with reference to a stance where the front foot (heel) is lifted off the floor - in order to show that the majority of the weight is being supported by the back foot.

Ko-Kotsu dachi is very close to the same thing, but usually the heel of the front foot is on floor and often the front leg is straighter.

In many styles Kotsu implies a backward lean of the spine as part of the technique also.

But in any case they are both back stances really so there is no wonder the confusion occurs.

They may look the same, but the weight distribution is different, as is the application.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Yes Neko Ashi Dachi is Cat Stance and Ko kutso dachi is referred to as a "back" stance.

The weight proportionment is the same everywhere I have been.

Neko Ashi Dachi is suppose to be 95% of the weight on the back leg and 5% on the front leg

Ko Kutso Dachi is suppose to be 75% on the back leg and 25% on the front leg.

But no matter where I go the positioning of the foot is always different and how your back and shoulders should be squared are always different in every style how can their be so many differences in a style that is linked so closely?

Yes Neko Ashi Dachi is Cat Stance and Ko kutso dachi is referred to as a "back" stance.

The weight proportionment is the same everywhere I have been.

Neko Ashi Dachi is suppose to be 95% of the weight on the back leg and 5% on the front leg

Ko Kutso Dachi is suppose to be 75% on the back leg and 25% on the front leg.

But no matter where I go the positioning of the foot is always different and how your back and shoulders should be squared are always different in every style how can their be so many differences in a style that is linked so closely?

As far as I understand it, Neko Ashi can be performed in a number of different positions ranging from High to Low (or short or long if you like) stances.

Naturally, as you change the length of the stance the weight distribution will change, so a high (short) cat stance could have a 10/90 distribution and a low (long) stance 40/60.

Important thing is the majority of the weight is on the back foot

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

In Wado Ryu there are two cat stances: Shomen (front facing) and Hanmi (sideways on) Neko Ashi Dachi. The sideways on cat stance is very similar to to kokotsu dachi, but the heel of the front foot is lifted off the floor in the cat stance. The forward facing cat stance is different: the legs are narrower, the body is turned forwards, both knees are bent and the weight distribution is loaded more onto the back leg.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Thanks guys, it was a bunch of help reading your posts, you shed some light on my questions and I am greatful, haha.

There are alot of educated people here on this forum, its is a one stop shop, haha.

In Wado Ryu there are two cat stances: Shomen (front facing) and Hanmi (sideways on) Neko Ashi Dachi. The sideways on cat stance is very similar to to kokotsu dachi, but the heel of the front foot is lifted off the floor in the cat stance. The forward facing cat stance is different: the legs are narrower, the body is turned forwards, both knees are bent and the weight distribution is loaded more onto the back leg.

Hi Fish,

Actually I would say that there are at least four catstances that can be found in Wado.

But that said, I remember reading an article by a JKF 7th Dan who explained how in Japan, there is not so much emphasis on labelling and quantifying stance types and measurements etc.

It would seem that this is more of Western thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wa-No-Michi

What are the other two? I know reverse cat stance, and I have seen a short version (e.g. in Pinan Yodan, Bassai Dai, Wanshu) and a long version of this (in Niseishi). Are they the other two or are there others I don't know about?

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)